cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to unlock iPhone

yclee
Joining in

I am a monthly contract user with Virgin mobile and have an iPhone 13 and I'm currently travelling abroad in Malaysia. I need to temporarily swap sims and use a local sim card here except that the phone is locked. The local carrier informed me that I needed to contact VM in order to have the phone unlocked. I have my IMEI number, how can I go about this? Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin have not locked iPhones for the last 6 years at least. At one time Apple locked them to the first SIM inserted but even that was done away with some years back and certainly does not apply to the 13.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Could there be another reason for why my phone is not taking a foreign sim card? All signs seem to suggest that the phone is carrier locked. I know that Apple don't lock iPhones either.

For reference, here's the error I see on the phone:

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-15 at 12.33.27 PM.jpeg

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Must admit I'm not up on iPhones

Try this

Settings,  General, About , Carrier Lock

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

yclee
Joining in

Can someone from Virgin Media directly PM me so I can send my IMEI number so they can check whether it's locked or something.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi yclee,

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community!

From our side we wouldn't lock any of our recent devices.

Can I ask whether you purchased the handset from ourselves?

Thanks,

Kain

Thanks for getting back to me. It was a replacement mobile phone from Lloyds insurance. I assumed it was locked by Virgin as that is the sim i'm currently using in the device but it sounds like this might not be the case

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What did going to Settings >General > About > Carrier Lock actually return?

Untitled.png

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-16 at 1.12.21 PM.jpeg