cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to call Virgin Mobile support, but can't make calls! Fed up with Terri Triage Bot

CurrentlyAbroad
Tuning in

I have an ancient 3G Nokia 1616 handset (remember those?) which still works really well and am currently in Belgium. I use prepay and have £2.20 in credit.

I got an email from Virgin Mobile saying I need to contact it to request a new SIM so that I can continue to roam after 1st October. I tried calling it and realised I cannot make calls (I tried both 789 and +44 7458 333 789) - I just get a "beep, beep, beep" and the call cuts.

I can send and receive SMS messages and I can receive calls.

My account settings are:

• Going abroad: set to "ON"
  • International Call Barring: set to "OFF"

I tried doing a webchat, but am stuck with Terri Triage Bot who keeps cutting in although it warns me that the wait is 45 mins, I have been queuing for over 2h30! The Bot asks if I want to keep waiting for a customer service agent.... and then asking me the same question again a few seconds later. Very frustrating and unclear whether I am moving up the queue or restarting at the bottom every time.

I submitted a complaint webform, but apparently that can take 28 days to resolve.

Can you please help fix my problem so I can MAKE calls (the fact that I can receive them and send/get SMS means the phone is working and it isn't a signal problem). That way I can contact Virgin Mobile to ask for a new SIM....

Many thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you tried connecting manually to a different network? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you tried connecting manually to a different network? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Brilliant. I have just tried changing networks from Belgium's main mobile network to a much smaller one and was able to make the call! A new SIM card is on its way. Many thanks Enlli for such a quick and helpful answer.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Where are they sending the SIM card? It is my understanding they can only be sent to a UK address and that they have to be activated on Virgin UK.

To my parents' UK address, I'll ask them to forward it to me. I hope that they don't need to be activated on Virgin UK (last time Virgin had to send me a new SIM - about a year ago - I could activate it over here).

Hi @CurrentlyAbroad

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

I'm glad to hear that you can now make calls after connecting manually to a different network as @enlli advised.

Just so you are aware, the SIM will need to be activated in the UK. If you parents can pop it in a handset and activate it prior to sending that would be the best way to do this.

Kind regards,

Serena

Hi Serena

Thanks for that. I was actually able to activate it whilst abroad!
Anyone else who is abroad and wanting to activate their SIM card should be aware that it took a long time for the SIM to become operational (about 18 hrs from when I inserted the SIM card) and I had to send the READY sms to "+44789678" (I inserting the UK prefix) before I started the process. But eventually I was able to connect to a local network and send an SMS to check that it was working and it was.

Simon

Thanks for the update Simon 🙂

I'm so glad you were able to get this sorted by texting the SMS service. 

If you happen to have any further issues, please pop another post on this thread and we'll happily assist. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide