cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My virgin mobile, calls random numbers

ljjmd
Tuning in

When I call some contacts [my home number] on my mobile [ virgin sim has been replaced recently] I get a random person answer, but at the same time, my home landline gets a random call at the same time, like a crossed call.

I have changed the sim,but i hasnt changed.This has only just started happening in the last month. I have a oneplus 6 [  so not a cheap phone ]

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Foxysounds

No I still get the issue. I have tried

1 replaced the sim 

2 bought a new phone

3 tried factory reset X 3

4 spoken to phone manufacturer who reset cache settings 

5 spoke to Virgin again 4 weeks ago who were to rebuild my profile, but I have not noticed or heard from them.

6 Had openreach change my phone socket in the house,they said they they have heard of this but it is 1 in 2 million

It is very strange I live near Norwich and have been connected to saffron Walden numbers. I also have call forwarding active come on my mobile when I call a landline 

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi ljjmd,

Thanks for for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you've an issue with making calls.

Are you able to confirm for me, is this only happening when calling your home phone or are other numbers affected?

Alex_Rm

I have noticed it with calling one other landline number

Thanks for confirming,

So I can take a closer look at this, I'll need a few more details from you.

I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

This is happening to me and my wife as well.  It's not a phone issue because she has an iPhone and I'm on Android (Google Pixel 4a).  It has only started happening for us recently too and I've only noticed it when dialling landline numbers, not mobile numbers.

When it happens the number shown on my screen matches the number I believe I have dialled but the recipient of the call is completely random...

... or maybe not quite completely random.  I don't know how many landline phone numbers there are in this country but we've seen this problem maybe 15 times between us so far and yet we've both had a phone call that went to Norwich City Football Club when we had dialled somewhere completely different (in my case I had dialled the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Harlow, Essex).

Did you get a satisfactory resolution to the issue?

Hi @foxysounds,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear that this is happening for both you and your wife too. Have you noticed if this issue only happens when you're in a specific area, or does it happen in multiple locations? Along with this, can you also confirm of any diagnostics and troubleshooting you've tried so far in an effort to remedy this?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zach and thanks for the quick response.

We've only noticed the problem when calling from home so far (which is in Harlow, Essex).  However, we're still pretty much locked-down because of Covid - I'm on immunosuppressants so we don't risk going out much - so that could be coincidence.

So far the troubleshooting I've tried was to uninstall some applications in case a malicious or buggy application was calling the problem but this was before my wife started seeing the problem on her iPhone - it now seems unlikely that this was the cause.

So far, rebooting my phone has made it start working again - at least for a while (several days) before it happens again although because it has happened so few times it could be coincidence again.  All the problems I've seen happened over two days (several times each day and it was okay for several days inbetween).  My wife saw the problem for the first time today but I've been okay today (or maybe I haven't phoned a landline number today - I probably haven't).

Thanks again,

Simon.

Thanks foxysounds, 

I thinks its best if I took a look at this is a bit more detail. 

If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Foxysounds

No I still get the issue. I have tried

1 replaced the sim 

2 bought a new phone

3 tried factory reset X 3

4 spoken to phone manufacturer who reset cache settings 

5 spoke to Virgin again 4 weeks ago who were to rebuild my profile, but I have not noticed or heard from them.

6 Had openreach change my phone socket in the house,they said they they have heard of this but it is 1 in 2 million

It is very strange I live near Norwich and have been connected to saffron Walden numbers. I also have call forwarding active come on my mobile when I call a landline 

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks