cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone keeps thinking it is in Belgium!

RW1974
Tuning in

My iPhone SE keeps thinking it is in Belgium and reformatting phone numbers.  I keep resetting back to UK format, helps for a while,  but then goes back to Belgium format.  How can I fix this?

Thx,

R

20 REPLIES 20

argiel
Dialled in

I have exactly the same problem: iPhone SE keeps acting as if it’s in Belgium. Changing location works temporarily then reverts to Belgium.

This prevents people from recognising who my texts are from and also results in calls I make to UK numbers trying to connect to Belgian numbers with the +32 prefix.

I *think* it only happens when I am out, not at home using WiFi.

From the discussion it looks like:

1 I’m not the only person with this problem

2 There isn’t a confirmed working solution, only a few suggestions which haven’t worked.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So I assume you have tried this: it seems to have worked for many.

The problem is caused by the nature of Virgin SIM cards which are Belgian in origin to allow Virgin to change network providers and give them access to roaming. iPhones don't seem to handle that well.

This problem has been round since the cards were introduced in 2016

If this does not work then I'm afraid you are out of luck 

Settings -> mobile data -> SIM Applications (near bottom) -> tap "Roaming"  -> tap "Select Mode"

I found "automatic" was selected by default.

Tap manual -> then choose National.

Now make sure your numbers are set to the correct format. If not change region to anything other than UK (Settings -> General -> Language and Region -> Region) and then change back to UK region

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I did see that approach suggested but it was followed by JulianFr reporting that it worked only temporarily and caused other problems, so you’ll appreciate why I don’t feel confident that it’s sound solution.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Well it's worked for lots of people. You can always change back to the original settings

Only other solution is to move from Virgin. I think four and a half years with no fix will tell you it will never be sorted 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Well here’s hoping it works for me too!

I’m new to Virgin, and disappointed that they  are offering this service with a known issue. I was going to switch my wife’s contract too but I’m glad I was cautious and just moved mine first!

Thanks for your help.

Hi @argiel,

Thank you for your posts. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear you're having some issues with your mobile service lately. Have you followed the steps suggested by @enlli to see if they help yet?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

It seems to be working so far, thanks.

Hi @argiel,

Thank you for the update. Glad to hear that this issue appears to now be resolved.

You know where we are if you need any further assistance.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi, I’ve just started having the same problem on my iPhone XS. Did this fix work for you?

It should also work for you , Mike4915