Menu
Highlighted
williamleggatt
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My experiences having ported from Vodafone

So, I moved from Vodafone..... as they Virgin offered me a nice upgrade on my home internet, and TV package.  With this came a unlimited SIM.  I use a Pixel 3 - quite new, and vanilla Android that is updated as releases are sent out.

No call waiting or call forwarding.  And I hate voicemail. So no options.  This is NOT made clear before you sign up.  They are BASIC functions these days.

No proper LTE support.  I am used to using data whilst on a call. On the same handset, I now need to connect, or find a WiFi connection to do this.  

Call setup speed.  On Vodafone and other providers, the call setup time is generally only 2-3 seconds.  Since moving to Virgin, this often takes 8-10 seconds. Not major but a constant annoyance every time I make a call.

No WiFi calling support. Again, this is really a basic function these days.  

THe Mobile connect app - really does not work, needs to run constantly, and does not provide a connection on London Underground.  You have to login every station.  Not ideal.

I’m sure virgin will say that all of this is why they offer a cheaper service.  But I can’t say it is not a comparative service. 

I’ve been calling on 789 (the support number) and have had numerous conversations with staff who are unable to help, but seem very concerned about my rating of how much they have helped me, when all they can offer is look on the community forum.

At this point, I am looking to see if I can cancel (outside 14 days) as in the “sales chat” I was promised the same level or higher levels of service as I had with Vodafone.

If not, I’m moving back 366 days after I signed my contract, especially now ALL the Tier 1 operaTor’s offer unlimited SIMS.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: My experiences having ported from Vodafone

You have moved from a fully fledged network to an MNVO and not many of them offer the services you mention, that is the nature of the beast. Even Vodafone do not offer Voice over 4G, Wifi Calling and call forwarding to their PAYG customers, same for EE and O2. All of these are reserved for what you might call 'top tier' customers.

Virgin are at the mercy of EE to a great extent and they are not going to let a rival offer the same sort of services in a hurry.

Disappointing, I know but it is not about to change in a hurry, I'm afraid.

williamleggatt
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So coming from regular Voda consumer package (never used PAYG) and a taking the best package virgin offer, and I am better off with other providers.....So if they are not comparative, why does virgin advertising compare them ?

What is a MNVO ?

Yes, it is disappointing, as these differences are not widely advertised before joining.

happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Mobile Network Virtual Operator - so they have their own system but use EE's network. A bit like an internet provider uses BT lines to provide the physical infrastructure. For me VM worked as it gave unlimited data but I see VF now do that too - and I have their new Gigacube which is also impressive. If you text PAC to 65075 it will tell you the termination cost but won't send a PAC unless you reply with the word they ask - and then you will get the PAC code.

I think anyway - maybe wait until someone else confirms or denies as it might be a different shortcode.

0 Kudos
williamleggatt
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20190720-143847.png

Wonderful. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

A MNVO  is a Mobile Network Virtual Operator. There are slightly different types but they all use another network for their signal, owning no towers of their own.

Virgin use EE for signal, but have moved to having their own core network meaning they do most things themselves other than the signal previously mentioned.

EE restrict access to their network for such operators and in this case it is no access to 800MHz 4G which is used for Voice over LTE. Your Vodafone would have stayed on 4G for a Voice call, on Virgin the phone has to drop back to 3G to handle it - hence loss of data.

As the UK networks are set up so that Voice over 4G and Wifi Calling use the same transmission protocols, not having one means not having the other.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The message you got about a charge for texting the shortcode is a Android thing. I got it when replying to the NHS. The text is in fact free. (As was mine to the NHS)

teabag
Superstar
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I know this will most probably not change your mind on how your feeling 🥴

Call waiting is supported, but new SIM's/accounts get sent out with a knackered setting, which needs to be corrected by one of the Forum Team here.

When on a call, your phone will drop to 2g or 3g (area signal dependent) to take the call, if on 3g  -  data will happily continue working on H or H+ speeds, if area is 2g - your out of luck.

For the 4g calling and WiFi calling, you will need to stick on one the 4 big boys with their higher prices to cover running those extras. Vodafone do the same, their own cheaper "Voxi" brand SIM's do not include those either. 

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
teabag
Superstar
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@williamleggatt wrote:

Screenshot_20190720-143847.png

Wonderful. 

That is a standard warning message coming from the Google "Messages" app, it is nothing to do with Virgin or means you will be charged.  Did it send though? - the short codes you can send too, are also a bit limited on Virgin 😖

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
japitts
Super solver
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Others have pretty much covered it, the only thing to really add is that a lot of this is a credit to V-Mobile's marketing.

I guess a comparison would be estate agents, and (to take an obvious example) comparing Purple Bricks to your local full-service agency.