cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to O2 network questions

TheRookieGB
Dialled in

Hi all

i have been with VMobile for a few months now and apart from a few niggles it’s been fine.

I see that we will this year move O2 fully.

As it not a new SIM card will this be basically Virgin Mobile diverting via Belgium on the O2 network as it is currently or will it be exactly the same as an O2 customer? 

I only ask as I had the iPhone issue with contacts showing wrongly as the Roaming > Sim applications > set Region > National fix worked for me. This was an issue as VM divert the network via Belgium and at times it would change the format of the contacts from UK to Europe Belgium. Then all numbers and messages would appear from random people.

Moving to O2 would fully fix this issue if the Belgium re-route is turned off.

any answer on this? 

if you were to order a new sim after the migration would you get a Vm sim or a new O2 one? 

cheers all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TheRookieGB
Dialled in

Hi All

***Update - 13th Feb 2023***

So far so good. Turning dial assist off and back on again and turning the mobile on and off and checking the language setting seems so far to have fixed the issue. (iPhone 12pro new with virgin sim brand new from around Oct 2022. New customer but had it working in ip11 with Sim app fix) 

Yes having dial assist off did cause some issues with +44 and non +44 format numbers but adding the number into a know contact as an extra number sorted that. I even turned dial assist back on and its ok. (Fingers crossed, touch wood etc) 

I am starting to wonder that this occurred since moving to a new device and the Sim automatically moved roaming to auto from National. Previously manually moving it has fixed the issue. But now Virgin back end engineers have now removed Sim applications because they are not needed and cause more issues with people going abroad in manual settings rather than auto. I am guessing that it’s been removed as yes they are moving networks but also that the issue is almost fixed anyway with some intervention from the user. 

I suppose the big test will be if I go on holiday in the summer. By then hopefully we will be a fully O2?!

Anyway. Let’s hope I haven’t talked this up today. But so far so good. 

Wouldn’t it be good if Virgin released a statement saying that they have removed Sims Applications as this issue is fixed so this ‘manual Sim Applications change in Uk’ is no longer needed. If you have issues simply turn dial assist on and off and restart your mobile?

They won’t because it may implement liability and they may have lots of claims for loss of signal and refunds. 

Let’s hope this one has been put to bed. As they say. Even if it pops up again hopefully a quick on and off will sort it. 

Just need to migrate now as soon as possible.

any more updates I will post. 

thanks All

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

75 REPLIES 75

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi TheRookieGB,

Thanks for posting on our community forums. This is a very good question, we will take this away and see what answers we can find for you.

Once we can confirm if moving to O2 would fully fix this issue if the Belgium re-route is turned off. We will post back with any updates we have.

With regards to your sim card, you will keep your original VM sim as we have already been migrated over. 

Kind regards Jodi

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I guess once on O2 you will be able to go to an O2 shop with ID and get a replacement SIM the same as any O2 customer.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

TheRookieGB
Dialled in

Hi All

***Update - 13th Feb 2023***

So far so good. Turning dial assist off and back on again and turning the mobile on and off and checking the language setting seems so far to have fixed the issue. (iPhone 12pro new with virgin sim brand new from around Oct 2022. New customer but had it working in ip11 with Sim app fix) 

Yes having dial assist off did cause some issues with +44 and non +44 format numbers but adding the number into a know contact as an extra number sorted that. I even turned dial assist back on and its ok. (Fingers crossed, touch wood etc) 

I am starting to wonder that this occurred since moving to a new device and the Sim automatically moved roaming to auto from National. Previously manually moving it has fixed the issue. But now Virgin back end engineers have now removed Sim applications because they are not needed and cause more issues with people going abroad in manual settings rather than auto. I am guessing that it’s been removed as yes they are moving networks but also that the issue is almost fixed anyway with some intervention from the user. 

I suppose the big test will be if I go on holiday in the summer. By then hopefully we will be a fully O2?!

Anyway. Let’s hope I haven’t talked this up today. But so far so good. 

Wouldn’t it be good if Virgin released a statement saying that they have removed Sims Applications as this issue is fixed so this ‘manual Sim Applications change in Uk’ is no longer needed. If you have issues simply turn dial assist on and off and restart your mobile?

They won’t because it may implement liability and they may have lots of claims for loss of signal and refunds. 

Let’s hope this one has been put to bed. As they say. Even if it pops up again hopefully a quick on and off will sort it. 

Just need to migrate now as soon as possible.

any more updates I will post. 

thanks All

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin never told people when they moved people off EE onto Vodafone. Again when they moved them from Vodafone to O2. I doubt then they will say anything about removing the SIM Toolkit 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Morning TheRookieGB,

Thanks very much for your update, we're pleased to hear you've been able to get this issue resolved.

If you do have any further issues or need anything else, please don't hesitate to get back in touch.

Kind regards

Beth

Hi

i have posted multiple times on here now regarding this Belgium Contacts format issue and that the only way to fix it is to restart/soft reset the iPhone since the SIM applications option was removed. 

I own 4 VM contract mobiles and my wife has this issue around once a week and can’t dial out. It’s highly annoying for her as she uses her phone for working at home also. 

WHEN will we be moving totally over to the O2 new accounts?

We were told from March and it’s now early April. Please can my 4 accounts be Prioritised at all or moved up the list. We can’t wait until November or find out we are moving during our Sumner holiday. I have already been told there is no order but surely Virgin has a plan who to move over first? 
Is having 4 contracts not enough as well as a SIM issue? 

Please can I have some more feedback on this?

Thank you. 

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi TheRookieGB 👋

We're sorry to hear you're still affected by the number formatting issue you've mentioned previously. Unfortunately, we wouldn't be able to advise when your account(s) will be moving over to O2. The process will take time, and all accounts are due to be transferred by the end of this year.

There is no way for us to set which accounts go first, or prioritise these migrations. As a workaround for the number formatting, you can set each number to have +44 before them, and this should resolve the problem.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hi, that’s highly annoying. 

I will try the +44 option with my wife’s phone, however she has hundreds of contacts. 

What will happen if we get a moving date and it’s in the middle of a holiday abroad or business trip? Can this be delayed or will that be an issue also? I take it then that you don’t contact the O2 accounts so you have no idea when the migration will be?

Do you know if it will be one master account for my 4 accounts as two of they are for my children? 

Let’s hope it’s sooner rather than later. I like VM as a whole company and my VM have been fine for what I pay. It’s just very frustrating and I feel moving over to a New full O2 sim would fix all of this. 

Thanks for the reply. 

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I'm really sorry you feel this way, TheRookieGB. I do appreciate and understand the frustration caused by this issue.

In regard to the migration, when your account is due to be migrated, you will receive a notification of this and this will also be recognised on your Virgin Mobile account notes, with an estimated date of migration.

Unfortunately, it's not clear whether you'll be placed under one master account for your O2 services, however, the migration itself is done to each Financial Account (FA number) and their associated numbers. I'll chase up the question about the master account, and pop back if I get any updates.

Hope that clears things up,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ