Menu
Highlighted
jackanapes
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Mobile signal poor/non-existent

For at least the last week or so, the mobile signal at home has been more or less non-existent, whereas everything was working fine previously. My daughter (who is also with Virgin Mobile) experiences the same problem.

A search on https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/checkservice gives the result:

"SERVICE PROBLEM IN [POSTCODE]

We are aware of a problem with this site. Please click below to stay updated."

An email update on 15 October stated:

"We have identified a problem with the performance of our masts that is going to need further investigation. We will next update you on 29 October."

How long will we have to wait for this problem to be resolved and will we be compensated for the loss of service?

Best regards

japitts
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile signal poor/non-existent

Sorry to say it, but you're doing basically all you can.

Virgin Mobile don't operate the radio network so all they can do is ask EE about local faults (you've already done this) and relay to you what they say (which is probably no more than you've found out).

If you were a customer of EE directly, you may be able to ask their tech-C/S directly.. but I'm doubtful they'd let on anymore, and your supplier is Virgin not EE.

EE's own customers will also be affected by this (although they'll have additional 4G coverage and WiFi calling to mitigate the problem), so I'm sure they'll be restoring service as soon as possible.

Compensation will be a matter between you and Virgin, but they may well argue that it's only coverage in one area that's affected and your phone is working fine elsewhere.

jackanapes
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

This problem has still not been resolved. EE emailed today:

"Update on [Postcode] We’ve got to resolve some Health and Safety issues on site before it’s safe for the engineers. Once we’ve got the all clear, engineers can get to work. We will next update you on 12 November."

EE's shop in the high street told me that the local masts have been out of order since 5 October. It is unacceptable that this has still not been fixed.

Can someone from Virgin please read this thread and explain what they are doing to restore the service and how I will be compensated? The fact that Virgin may have subcontracted the service to EE is not an excuse.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Well the issue of compensation is one thing but as stated Virgin can't do anything about the masts. If the contractor has identified a H&S problem that they think compromises the safety of their employees do you expect them to ignore it?

BTW the masts may not even be owned by EE. Some are a joint venture with 3, some are owned by international mast owners. 

Sorry but Virgin are as much victims as you.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
jackanapes
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I can't see the point of your response, unless you work for Virgin Media. Are you saying that they have no responsiblity if they have failed to provide a service which they have contracted to provide?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My signature clearly states I do not work for Virgin Media.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
jackanapes
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

OK. But I do find it odd that you describe them as "victims". They are being paid money to provide a service but are not providing it.

Perhaps they do not monitor this forum, but if they do, I would appreciate them showing an interest and explaining their position, which was the  purpose of my post.

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

virgin mobile are responsible for compensation certainly, but masts are ee's and other parties responsibility to fix. As an mvno, vm don't have field engineers for mobile services, part of their contract with ee for them to provide those services. 

In the meantime, check to see if 2g/3g provides a better signal in your area. Quite often this is from other overlapping masts in the area. 

I've seen cases in the last few years, where wayleave problems with access have caused similar problems to this. 

Don't forget, this is mainly a consumer forum, virgin employees/moderators do comment where necessary, but it's mainly users trying to be helpful. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Others have covered the points about who operates the radio network already, but all mobile network operators have clauses in their T&Cs which allow for local coverage issues. Essentially they will never guarantee coverage in any given location.

The virtiual operators who don't have any control over the network their customers use, will naturally have to include provision for that, in their T&Cs. Any rebate is then down to a customer service issue dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

At least with providers who have indoor coverage solutions, it at least means that no coverage doesn't necessarily mean no service. Obviously that comes with cost implications, making choice of provider an individual preference.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your post Jackanapes and sorry to hear you're experiencing some coverage issues in your area.

The helpful forum members above have explained it quite well, the masts we use will be worked on by third parties and we'd be unable to answer specifics on the work, however, we are sure they'll work hard to fix this as soon as they can. I'll leave a link to our coverage page here for you as well as this may be able to provide updates for you.

If you're receiving no service to your home address, once this has been rectified if you'd like to update us we will go through some account security through private message and look into any good-will compensation we may be able to offer. We cannot calculate this amount until this has been rectified. 

Please keep us updated.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos