cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile phone manipulation

Jon1951
Up to speed

out of contract on February 2021, decided not to upgrade ,just go sim only. All was working well, I was contacted by virgin to ask if my phone was working ok , as it is now an old phone and reconsider upgrading to a new phone ?

i assured the virgin representative that my phone and service was all ok, and did not want a new phone.

well in the last couple of months issues have began to appear , 

wifi not connecting, cannot get IP address, have to manually reconnect.

network service is poor at best , 1 bar or none  ,wife's phone on virgin, 4 or 5 bars, her phone is in contract !!!!!!!!

is my phone being manipulated by virgin to get me to get a new phone I do not want ? 

Very coincedental in deed.

my phone is in A1 condition and only 2 years old.

20 REPLIES 20

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jon1951 wrote:

What's the point of putting my wife's sim in my phone, I want my phone to work !,,,,

To see if the 'fault' follows the SIM. That will then rule out your phone, and we are then down to reception or SIM. It's a process of elimination

When I asked about a manual network search I know it will say you are connected to Virgin but seeing what other networks show will indicate to me what network Virgin is using in your case. Do you see EE listed or do you see Vodafone listed?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for coming back to me Jon1951

As per enlli, I wanted to establish whether or not if your phone (the actual handset) would work the way you'd want it to if you used your wife's SIM in it.

Regards

Lee

in settings, connections, network connections. both phones show VIRGIN as the provider.

not going to muck about swapping sim cards, as one dodgy phone is enough. 

Our apologies for any frustration with our request Jon1951. 

We would ask if you can try the alternative SIM card in the handset so as to be able to see if changes anything. 

^Martin

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jon1951 wrote:

in settings, connections, network connections. both phones show VIRGIN as the provider.

not going to muck about swapping sim cards, as one dodgy phone is enough. 

Then there is little people can do to help, either the team or members of the forum.

You are under the impression that somehow Virgin have ruined your phones, probably through the SIM cards. Well with 27 years in telecoms I can tell you that is technically impossible.

Stating that both phones show Virgin is a given. Virgin have not got a cell network of their own but use EE or Vodafone, I was trying to establish that by asking for the list of networks shown. 

Sorry, can't help further

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

The list on my phone of available networks is as follows 

virgin , 23423, o2 uk, 3 U.K., Vodafone U.K.,

the one on my phone is stated as virgin on the lock screen.

sorry if I'm not understanding what you are asking , but you are dealing with a 70 year old technophobe, 

please be patient, I apologise.

Jon1951

If you're on EE and we send a replacement SIM it would be a SIM connected to Vodafone's network.  That is irreversible.  It could also serve to confirm if the issue is SIM/Network related or if it's an issue with your handset.

Regards

Lee_R

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jon1951 wrote:

The list on my phone of available networks is as follows 

virgin , 23423, o2 uk, 3 U.K., Vodafone U.K.,

the one on my phone is stated as virgin on the lock screen.

sorry if I'm not understanding what you are asking , but you are dealing with a 70 year old technophobe, 

please be patient, I apologise.

That's EE then. Take the offer of a replacement SIM

Been onto virgin 789, and they have told me the all virgin phones are being transferred over to Vodafone , starting the end of the year ? But be aware that data rollover will not apply ?

thanks for all your help, lets see what happens then, 

maybe a new phone will be the way forward, just an expensive fix !!!!

Corey_C

Hi Jon1951,

I've sent you a private message to confirm your account details then we'll work on getting you a replacement SIM card and see how it goes from there.

Cheers,

Corey C