cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile phone manipulation

Jon1951
Up to speed

out of contract on February 2021, decided not to upgrade ,just go sim only. All was working well, I was contacted by virgin to ask if my phone was working ok , as it is now an old phone and reconsider upgrading to a new phone ?

i assured the virgin representative that my phone and service was all ok, and did not want a new phone.

well in the last couple of months issues have began to appear , 

wifi not connecting, cannot get IP address, have to manually reconnect.

network service is poor at best , 1 bar or none  ,wife's phone on virgin, 4 or 5 bars, her phone is in contract !!!!!!!!

is my phone being manipulated by virgin to get me to get a new phone I do not want ? 

Very coincedental in deed.

my phone is in A1 condition and only 2 years old.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Without accessing your account @Jon1951 we could only speculate from here.

One thing I would say is any migration is irreversible.  Can I ask if you've tried your Wife's SIM in your handset at all?

Regards

Lee_R 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

20 REPLIES 20

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

network service is poor at best , 1 bar or none  ,wife's phone on virgin, 4 or 5 bars, her phone is in contract

It could be a failing handset, I suspect not though.

VM have customers connected to both EE and Vodafone's physical networks, and VM mobile customers are progressively being migrated from EE to Vodafone.  It is distinctly possible that the two phones are on different networks, and the signal's poorer for the network your phone is connecting to.   So yours may be waiting to move to Voda (in which case things should improve, and staff here may even be able to give a "bump" to get your connection moved).  Alternatively, hers may be on EE and waiting to be moved to Voda, and her connection will at some point deteriorate to the same standard you are experiencing.  

If you know your handset is now on Voda, then your only options are to tolerate the poor signal, or to transfer the number to a network with better coverage at your property.  Don't rely too much on Ofcom coverage maps - they're OK as a general guide, but not always accurate at individual property level.  You might need to do some trials with PAYG sim cards to see which network is best. 

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Jon1951, thanks for the message. I have looked over the post and what Andrew has said is correct and it likely what has happened, it does sound like the wife's phone is on Vodaphone and your still lies with EE. In order to migrate to EE you would need to do a credit check and upgrade to a sim only plan. Once done the sim will migrate to the vodafone. You will be able to check the best signal in your area by clicking here  - Chris

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In other words tie yourself in for another 12 months (no good if you are the one that has been moved to Vodafone) or wait a bit for the move to be automatic.

Can you do a manual network search and post the results. I should be able to tell you which network you are on.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Without accessing your account @Jon1951 we could only speculate from here.

One thing I would say is any migration is irreversible.  Can I ask if you've tried your Wife's SIM in your handset at all?

Regards

Lee_R 

No I have not tried my wife's sim as I have been told that her sim is registered to her phone not mine,
I still have my old J5 -6 , now 4 years old , may try that !
Just to let virgin tell me my sim is not registered to this phone.

If your wife's SIM is with ourselves and the SIMs are the same size, then there should not be an issue.

Regards

Lee_R

Both my phone and my wife's phone say when I search network connections say Virgin, not EE or Vodafone, 

all I want is a phone that works, is that a problem, it appears so.

What's the point of putting my wife's sim in my phone, I want my phone to work !,,,,

Also when I'm out and about , if I'm not on wifi, I get a message cannot connect to network, i.e. Cannot connect to G4 ,