cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile mast causing internet loss

nettech-x
Tuning in

How do I report a a 5g problem at Piccadilly gardens (next to McDonalds) in Manchester city centre.

Every time my phone connects to this mast (LTE: 57373-2105874-429?)  I loose the internet. Have to drop down to 4g for data to work.   I shouldn't have to change or drop down to 4g every time I go to the city centre.  When connecting to any other mast in the Manchester 5g works just fine.  Just this one rouge mast.

You don't make it exactly easy to report such faults ..

18 REPLIES 18

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin have no masts of their own so this is a Vodafone problem.

As 5G is none stand alone it seems you have a connection to the 5G mast but not the 4G mast associated with it. Seen it happen a few times. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi nettech-x,

Welcome to the Community Forums! Thanks so much for your first post.

I'm sorry to hear that your 5G signal is quite patchy around the Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester city centre. I can appreciate this must get frustrating when traveling through Manchester frequently. 

I've had a look at the Vodafone coverage checker for this area and can see that some parts of the Piccadilly Gardens are not covered by 5G, so this will be the reason why you're having to switch back to 4G. I can see that the areas not covered by 5G are still covered by 4G. You can check this in the Vodafone coverage checker here.

As there doesn't appear to be an issue with the phone masts, but rather just a lack of coverage in this specific area, I'm afraid that there's not too much we can do to rectify this.

Hope this helps,

Beth

Beth

Thanks for your reply. Checked coverage as suggested. The problem mast is right in the heart of the 5g area.  When connected to it it offers no data (to any app) without manually changing to 4g, which is unacceptable.  Just moved to virgin from THREE, never had this issue with them.  Sill in 14 day period of contract, considering cancelling and going back to 3 if network problem not resolved.

Thanks for getting back to us nettech-x

I am sorry.  As per my colleague Beth, there isn't really anything we can do to speed up a fix etc.  I do sincerely wish you the very best of luck with whatever decision you make.

Regards

Lee_R

So you are telling me that you aren't going to fix this issue ok that's ridiculous dont use the fact that you use Vodafone's mast as a way to excuse the need to escalate this issue.

Also OP you should consider yourself lucky as I can't even use my data either but in the entire city centre unless I switch my data to 3G and when I go out to many places like in Ashton underlyne or other towns my data becomes unusable unless it's switched to 3G this is a joke the service was fine no complaints then you move to Vodafone and now I have to mess about all the time switching my data from 5g preferred to 3G to get it working again.

This will have been raised and escalated with Vodafone to be attended and fixed as soon as possible jordy1. Once with them we have no control over how long it takes for this to be resolved as it is their mast. Given it's location and the potential work required to resolve this it may be that permits are required that may be take longer given the location.

Rob

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jordy1 If you are saying you can't use 4G either then there is the problem, 5G NSA needs 4G to work.

Here is Liverpool near the City Centre from my logs the 4G mast in question is Band 7 2600Mhz. Assume your phone can handle that.

Screenshot_20211004-112459_NetMonster.jpg

Does 4G on your phone work in any places or not at all?

Virgin can only report this to Vodafone, they can't of themselves fix it. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Yes my 4g and 5g will also work in some areas but then others no seems to happen more in a town centre then anywhere else and even before get there say if am walking into that town it won't connect to anything until it's switched to 3G

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unlikely but make sure your phone specs cover LTE 2600Mhz. That's Vodafone's favourite for town centres.

Locally My 5G is on 2100Mhz Dynamic Spectrum Sharing with 4G, but is pared with  800Mhz LTE. Totally different ball game to the City Centre.

I use Netmonster on Android when I want to track NSA pairings.