cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile issues - received sim but my data still doesn't work

Kully28
On our wavelength

I have an oomph unlimited sim as part of my package. I have been using it for 11 months with no issue.

Earlier this week my sim stopped working and I could only make calls or send messages when connected to my home WiFi. I did an online chat which took me 2 hours and after trying some things the 2 advisors I was messaging i was advised that a new sim would be sent already activated.

I  received that sim today but my data still doesn't work and I am unable to connect to a network.

I have gone to settings and tried to set the network manually and automatically but I keep getting an error msg.

Does anyone know what else I can try to get my sim and data working??

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

17 REPLIES 17

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Kully28

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

Have you tried to activate the new SIM? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Kully28
On our wavelength

Hi

This may be a stupid question so apologies but how do I activate the sim?

I was told that the sim would already be activated. When I put it into my phone it didn't even ask me for a pin as the booklet with the sim advised.

Good morning, thanks for coming back to me. I shall send you a PM now to help further 🙂

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Kully28
On our wavelength

My issue is has not been resolved. I cannot connect to the virgin network manually or automatically I get an error msg.

I also keep getting sim refresh pop up every now and then on my screen.

The new sim I have received has not rectified any issues and I have now been unable to use my phone since last Tuesday when this all started.

At times I can connect to my virgin WiFi and my phone works but this is no good for when I am out of the house at work and need to contact anyone. 

Is there anything else I can try. I have reset my phone. Turned it on and off. I was told the sim was already activated but it is still not working. I received a text from virgin media when I entered the new sim into my phone advising I would receive further texts but nothing has come through. Surely this must be an issue with virgin media as I have had no issues since using the sim in my phone for the last year and it works when connected to my WiFi connection.

Please help 

Good morning. I am sorry it's not working. What make and model of handset are you using? Do you have another phone to test the SIM in?

Kind regards

John

John_GS
Forum Team

Kully28
On our wavelength

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S9. I do not have another phone to try the sim in.

Thanks. Please can you do a reset;

• From the Home screen, swipe up on an empty spot to open the Apps tray.
  • Tap Settings > General Management > Reset > Reset network settings. 
  • Tap RESET SETTINGS. 
  • If you have set up a PIN, enter it. 
  • Tap RESET SETTINGS. Once complete, a confirmation window will appear
John_GS
Forum Team

Kully28
On our wavelength

Hi

I did all of this this I did the online chat with an advisor from Virgin last week and and decided to send me a new sim. If someone calls my number it rings on their end but I don't receive a call. 

The only way I can make and receive calls and texts is when I connect to the home WiFi.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just a thought.... do you have Vodafone Coverage where you are you may have you may have changed networks 

Check here.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/status-checker

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks