cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data not working in 5g zones

Bmor
Joining in

I have a Samsung S21 Ultra which is 5g enabled. However, everytime I connect to a 5g network - so when the 5g logo shows at  top right of the screen - I stop being able to connect to the Internet using mobile data.

If I change my connection settings to not use 5g, and connect to 4g or lower instead, it starts working again. So it's only when I'm connected to 5g it stops working.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is there a fix other than just telling my phone not to connect to 5g ever?

55 REPLIES 55

Well, the last time I was in the affected area (Piccadilly gardens in Manchester) it was last Friday (14th Jan) at 4-5pm. 

…. But that’s almost irrelevant as the issue is persistent 24x7 for at least the last few months. There are posts in this thread that go into much more detail about masts etc that will be more useful to the tech team(?)

Thanks

Can you confirm if 5G works in other areas of Manchester?

Thank you

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Yeah… in my previous messages (please read them) I’ve already confirmed that. It’s like there is an issue with specific spots in Manchester centre

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Same questions 😠. That's the problem with long threads.

As someone who has worked in Telecoms this is not a fault that can be sorted by some tech team sitting in an office.

There needs to be boots on the ground checking the affected masts and the consulting the plans as to where data from those masts leaves Vodafone and connects to Virgin's core network. Those connections then need physically checking and if OK there is then the need to work backwards to where the signal is lost. 

Not a desk job I'm afraid.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks,

We have raised this with the relevant team and when we know more, we will pop back with an update. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Whist in Manchester today, at  Picadilly Gardens and Station. Can report, that for the first time in over 3 months received data/internet whilst connected to 5g. 

Wonder if anyone else  can confirm?

Shocked, or was it a miracle?   not yet had the oportunity to test Crumpsall and Cheetham Hill.  

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Out of interest what firmware version are you running on your S21 Ultra? When was it updated?
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Last firmware update,  the begining of January 2022.  

Network Cell Info (v.6.1.32)

Device: Samsung SM-G998B - Exynos2100
Radio: G998BXXU4BULG,G998BXXU4BULG
Android: 12 (API 31) - SP1A.210812.016.G998BXXU4BUL

Don't think it's firmware related because 5g worked in other areas. Just NOT in the 5g dead zones mentioned.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've got an S21+ and have been having similar issues with 5G at home in Manchester about 2 miles outside of the city centre so have been keeping an eye on this thread.

I last checked for 5G on the 10th and it was behaving the same as you've seen in central Manchester. My phone updated on the 13th, and checking today I now have 5G both indoors and outdoors.

As @Brookesyboy and @padlew have iPhones I wonder if they're also seeing it fixed or not

@Bmor has an S21 Ultra, but they've not posted since November but would also be helpful to find out what they're seeing.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Immnotngoing to be in Manchester centre for a week or so, so won’t be able to test, but as soon as I do ill let this group know