cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data not working in 5g zones

Bmor
Joining in

I have a Samsung S21 Ultra which is 5g enabled. However, everytime I connect to a 5g network - so when the 5g logo shows at  top right of the screen - I stop being able to connect to the Internet using mobile data.

If I change my connection settings to not use 5g, and connect to 4g or lower instead, it starts working again. So it's only when I'm connected to 5g it stops working.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is there a fix other than just telling my phone not to connect to 5g ever?

55 REPLIES 55

Thanks for confirming what handset you are using.

Would you be able to provide 5 examples of this issue occurring so we can pass this onto the team investigating please?

They will need to know the following per example:

• Date and time
  • Postcode location.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Record of travels and monitoring this year,  experienced this issue from time I switched to virgin over three months ago.

Will provide future updates, days and times as requested

Reporting most recent travels. But can confirm I have experienced the same issue No Data in the same 5g Zones listed below 
 Outgoing Journey  LocationTime Location 5g Not Working 5g connectionReturn Journey LocationTime  
Monday Jan 3, 2022Manchester Piccadilly Gardens, Market St Tram Station, traveling to Poynton11:45 AMStops working on approach to Market St Tram station in Piccadilly Gardens 5g connection no dataDitto2:45 PM5g connection no data
 Manchester Piccadilly Train Station11:55 AM 5g connection no dataDitto2:55 PM5g connection no data
     Crumpsall Tram station/ Cheetham Hill Tesco Store3:30 PM5g connection no data
Wednesday 5, 2022See post for Wednesday in this thread      
Thursday Jan 6, 2022Abraham Moss Via Crumpsall traveling to Radcliffe on the Tram10:30 AM Connected 5g at Abraham Moss, No data or internet passing through Crumpsall. Ok, after passing Crumpsall, 4g, from Prestwich Getting off a Crumpsall,  connected 5g, no data. Walking to Tesco, 300 yds, still no data cannot use Tesco+ payment app  
Friday Jan 7, 2022Manchester Piccadilly Gardens, Market St Tram Station, traveling to East Didsbury10:30 AM 5g connection no dataDitto  
Saturday 8, 2022 Pollard Street Manchester,  1:00pm  Connected 5g, No data or internet    
Monday Jan 10, 2022Manchester Piccadilly Gardens, Market St Tram Station, traveling to Altringham11:00 AM 5g connection no dataDitto  

Most 5g zones in and around Manchester work fine, except, Piccadilly Gardens, Piccadilly Train station, St Peters Square In these areas connected to 5g, no data.    
 Central Crumpsall, and Cheetham Hill      

Hi there, thanks for coming back to us with these examples.

Are you having issues outside of Manchester at all or just in and around Manchester?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Most 5g Zones  around Manchester are fine. 

Main  problem 5g zones, getting no data or internet whilst connected to 5g - In or around Market Street tram station,  which is in  Piccadilly Gardens M1 1LY, Piccadilly Train Station. M60 7RA (which is 500 yards from Piccadilly Gardens)  and Crumpsall Tram Station,  Station Road, Crumpsall Manchester M8 5EA.

Other 5g zones, have been  fine, whilst traveling in and around Manchester and regularly checking and monitoring connection to masts.  However, whilst connected to 5g and traveling into those locations particularly M1 1LY, (which has been an issue for over 3 months) I loose data and internet.  as soon as I'm out of range of those locations 5g works fine again. Same problem in and around Crumpsall.

At  these locations, getting no fix to a mast  when connected to 5g, hence no data or internet, hope that makes sense

Thanks for coming back to us. This has been reported to the network for you.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Another user here with the same problem…. Around Piccadilly gardens and canal street no data services when connected to 5G (iPhone13). It’s been like this for the past 3 or so months at least. When in these areas, the only way to get data/internet services is to manually force the phone to use 4g.

Note… im talking about Manchester here

Hey @Brookesyboy

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.

I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your mobile data connection.

I will get this looked into by our mobile team, is this issue happening at certain times of the day or is it happening all the times that you have been there?

Are you able to use the 5G connection in other areas without any issues?

Regards,

Steven_L

It’s all the time and has been like that for months.. exactly the same as the Original Poster. My 5G works in other areas… it’s like there’s a black spot over central Manchester 

I'm so sorry to hear this @Brookesyboy 

Are you able to provide a log with dates, times and locations of when the 5G has failed? 

If so let me know and I will send you a PM so we can log these with the IT teams to take a closer look. 

Thank you.