cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data not working in 5g zones

Bmor
Joining in

I have a Samsung S21 Ultra which is 5g enabled. However, everytime I connect to a 5g network - so when the 5g logo shows at  top right of the screen - I stop being able to connect to the Internet using mobile data.

If I change my connection settings to not use 5g, and connect to 4g or lower instead, it starts working again. So it's only when I'm connected to 5g it stops working.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is there a fix other than just telling my phone not to connect to 5g ever?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Everyone,

Just a bit of an update: We have identified what the key issues are and have worked on a fix which we have been rolling out across all affected areas. This will address the 5G connectivity issues for your area. Thanks very much for your patience throughout and apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Cheers,
Corey C

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

55 REPLIES 55

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Bmor,

Welcome! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry to see that your mobile data on 5G does not work, not all areas are 5G suitable. Which means it may drop down to 4G if this happens.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Hayley_S wrote:

Hello @Bmor,

Welcome! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry to see that your mobile data on 5G does not work, not all areas are 5G suitable. Which means it may drop down to 4G if this happens.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks,

What is not 5G suitable? If the phone is 5G capable, in a 5G area and displays a 5G symbol then there should be data.

I wonder if this is connected with other posts on people not getting data in 5G areas. I suspect a Vodafone to Virgin interface problem.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @enlli,

Thanks for the question.

Sometimes the signal can drop in different areas, the phone is 5G along with the Sim. However if the area is not a stable 5G area then it will need to drop to 4G for it to be able to work.

Thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Hayley_S wrote:

Hello @enlli,

Thanks for the question.

Sometimes the signal can drop in different areas, the phone is 5G along with the Sim. However if the area is not a stable 5G area then it will need to drop to 4G for it to be able to work.

Thanks,

However, the OP did not say their phone was dropping to 4G but that they manually had to switch down to 4G to get data.

I've never had to do a manual intervention in the last 18 months of using 5G with Vodafone direct. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @enlli,

I need to wait for the OP to respond, I have explained twice 🙂 Once they have responded I can investigate further.

Thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

Hi Hayley,

The reply to your explanation us correct. It is not automatically dropping down to 4G. The phone is connected to 5G (5g symbol showing at top right of screen) but I can't send or receive data - can't connect to the Internet, can't send WhatsApp messages etc.

If I manually switch the connection settings to 4g or lower, it starts working. 

Thanks,

Bryn

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are posts about this happening. So far they seem to concentrate on Wolverhampton and Manchester, but I expect more will appear as customers move onto 5G

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Bmor, 

Thank you for your reply, I am sorry you are having issues with your 5G.

I have checked your area and the coverage should be great, I will take a look for you in-depth, and will pop you over a PM. 

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope 🙂
Zoie

nettech-x
Tuning in

Yes, I am having this issue at certain locations (Samsung S21 ultra) Piccadilly gardens, and Piccadilly station Manchester.  Crumpsall and Cheetham hill.  Connects 5g at these locations but no data. Have to manually drop down to 4g. Very frustrating as cannot use google pay at these locations. 

Discussed with virgin online and over the phone. they promised a call from 2nd line that never materialised.

I get a 4g signal at home. Stepping outside and walking towards the mast I am connected to within 100yards switches over to 5g, on doing so get no internet.

Just moved to virgin from three, never had these issues with them.