cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data in EU not consistent

dogboywifiprobz
Joining in

Hi, I'm currently in the EU (normally live in the UK) and my mobile data is barely working. It says I have 4G but I can't load anything at all unless i go into my phone menu and switch mobile data off then on again. When I do that, it usually loads any site but just very briefly - I have to turn it off and on again to get it to load a further page. However occasionally it will just work more consistently when I'm using an app like Twitter or TikTok, maybe for a few minutes or longer - until suddenly it just stops again. I have no problem with data in the UK and I have my roaming set to on etc. Please help! Thank you. 

22 REPLIES 22

Hi dogboywifiprobz, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one and for the extra information. 

As this is only happening with the data, and it is working, just not very well it may be related to the signal or network you've connected too. 

Have you tried choosing a different network within your settings? If not give this a try and then we can go from there. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

It's not the signal strength... As I said, it's happened in multiple countries in the EU, in various locations, and when I turn the Mobile data off then on again it instantly works. That is clearly not a signal issue. And yes I have manually connected to different networks it makes zero difference. 

Hi dogboywifiprobz,

Thank you for reaching back out to us, have you tried the Sim in a different phone to see if the same happens?

Regards

Paul.

No but I don't have a separate phone to try it in I'm afraid. 

We would advise trying is possible, if we were to order a new Sim this may happen again if it is the handset.

Regards

Paul.

Is there any reason to think it would be the handset? I am visiting Germany for the next two weeks but I am not in a position to buy a new smartphone just to test this. Please can you consider other fixes. Thanks. 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Germany should prove interesting as the 3G services have now closed down. Eventually that will boost 4G but not fully yet 

With Virgin I always recommend the following

sim tool
For Android:
Select Apps from the Home Screen
Select SIM Toolkit Icon
Select Roaming
Select Select Mode
Select Manual
Select International-you are done, go back to Home Screen

To Switch back when in the UK:
Select Apps from screen
Select Virgin SIM Toolkit Icon
Select Roaming
Select Select Mode
Select Automatic and go back to Home Screen

For iOS:
Select Settings from the Home Screen
Select Phone Icon
Select SIM Applications
Select Roaming
Select Select mode
Select Manual
Select International and you are done, go back Home screen to retry

To change back when returning to the UK:
It is critical that you set the SIM roaming applet back to Automatic mode once in the Uf Settings > Mobile Data > Sim applications
Select SIM Applications
Select Roaming
Select Select mode
Select National - you are done, go back to Home screen

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks a lot for the detailed instructions. I did a tech assistance chat yesterday and they told me to try the same thing. Weirdly it has definitely helped, but not fully sorted the issue. Mobile data now tends to last for a bit longer but still stops working after a bit, and particularly if I switch to a new app or try open a new webpage. 

Hello @dogboywifiprobz,

I am sorry for the issues with your mobile data.

We are unable to send a SIM to a non English address, but we can send it to someone in the UK for you if needed. Then they could send it to you. But if it is starting to work for you now, then we might not need to do this.

I hope it is okay for you now.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Something I've just discovered is that when I'm using my phone as a hotspot for my laptop, I have no issues with remaining connected or loading on the laptop but I do still have issues on the phone. Does that indicate that it's a problem with the handset? If so, what is the solution? I bought this handset second hand but it said it was fully unlocked and like new. 

Screenshot_20220402-172820.jpg