Menu
Kiti_kat13
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Mobile contract changed without knowledge

So today I got a message saying they had changed my mobile contract without letting me know they had done it

Surely this isn't legal?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile contract changed without knowledge

You should have received a letter which outlined your options.
This has happened to a significant number of people.

0 Kudos
Kiti_kat13
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Nope had nothing .. no letter or anything in terms of contact 

What did the others do that had this issue?

@enlli wrote:

You should have received a letter which outlined your options.
This has happened to a significant number of people.

0 Kudos
seanm99
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I've had this happen to me today too. I received a text "All done! You're now on our 4G 1500mins + 1GB. We switched you over today, you can now use your allowances!"

This is the tarrif I am on anyway, but I have a £1 a month loyalty discount and a lifetime 4x data addon. I logged into my account and both the discount and addon were no longer present.

I rang up to complain and was told that I was informed by email in February that this was happening, and could cancel by March 31. As this date has now passed, I was told there was nothing I could do other than buy out the remainder of my contract.

I never received an email notification and the person I spoke to insinuated that it is was my fault for not receiving the email and there was no way for me to cancel my airtime contract now. I did not appreciate his manner and general unhelpful appreach to the issue. He offered no solutions and refused to connect me with someone who could. I got the impression he just wanted rid of me. The conversation ended when he seemed to just disappear and didn't respond to anything he said, so I hung up.

He claimed that I can't cancel just my airtime contract and not the handset - even though I have separate agreements and payments for these.  Is this true? Pretty disgusted by the way I've been treated to be honest.

0 Kudos
Kiti_kat13
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@seanm99 wrote:

I've had this happen to me today too. I received a text "All done! You're now on our 4G 1500mins + 1GB. We switched you over today, you can now use your allowances!"

This is the tarrif I am on anyway, but I have a £1 a month loyalty discount and a lifetime 4x data addon. I logged into my account and both the discount and addon were no longer present.

I rang up to complain and was told that I was informed by email in February that this was happening, and could cancel by March 31. As this date has now passed, I was told there was nothing I could do other than buy out the remainder of my contract.

I never received an email notification and the person I spoke to insinuated that it is was my fault for not receiving the email and there was no way for me to cancel my airtime contract now. I did not appreciate his manner and general unhelpful appreach to the issue. He offered no solutions and refused to connect me with someone who could. I got the impression he just wanted rid of me. The conversation ended when he seemed to just disappear and didn't respond to anything he said, so I hung up.

He claimed that I can't cancel just my airtime contract and not the handset - even though I have separate agreements and payments for these.  Is this true? Pretty disgusted by the way I've been treated to be honest.

Omg that's exactly the same text I got and I was on a 2gb data and unlimited call plan

They told me it was no longer available and I had been informed 15 days before which I hadn't 

I also asked to cancel the airtime balance not the phone and got told the same thing 

This has gotta be a breach of contract surely?

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@seanm99

With seperate payments for handset and SIM, your on a Freestyle contract and the SIM is on a 30day contract - it is not tied within the handset loan payments.

You have the right to cancel SIM at any time with 30 days notice (even without this force plan change). The loan payments would carry-on as normal.

@Kiti_kat13.  The same applies to you if you are on a Freestyle contract.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
Kiti_kat13
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@teabag wrote:

@seanm99

With seperate payments for handset and SIM, your on a Freestyle contract and the SIM is on a 30day contract - it is not tied within the handset loan payments.

You have the right to cancel SIM at any time with 30 days notice (even without this force plan change). The loan payments would carry-on as normal.

@Kiti_kat13.  The same applies to you if you are on a Freestyle contract.

As far as I am aware I do pay separate but I'm not on a rolling contract (been with virgin for years) 

They have put in a complaint for me but I'm not expecting much out of it what are my rights? Are they breaching the contract by changing it without my knowledge?

0 Kudos
seanm99
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@teabag

Thanks for that - I thought this too. Will check my contract and see what it says. I only have 3 months left so I'd be happy to keep paying for the handset and find a new airtime contract elsewhere.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Kiti_Kat13 wrote

"As far as I am aware I do pay separate but I'm not on a rolling contract (been with virgin for years) 

They have put in a complaint for me but I'm not expecting much out of it what are my rights? Are they breaching the contract by changing it without my knowledge?"

Emails were sent out about the plan change, not sure how it works if you did not receive yours?.

If you log into your online account, it should show if SIM is on 1 month contract or not - picture below.

Complaints take a long time with Virgin, myself I would have been so annoyed if this happened to me - I would get help involved through resolver so Virgin sort it out quickly and properly.

Screenshot_20190416-110706.png

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
seanm99
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So I tried an SMS chat and got no joy.  They suggested I speak to retentions. I spoke to retentions and they reiterated that I could not cancel my airtime contract without first paying off the handset.   I've submitted a complaint via resolver - hopefully that will get some resoltion to this.

Very tempted to just bite the bullet and pay off the handset so I can get a sim only deal elsewhere though.

0 Kudos