Menu
ashipway
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Mobile Contract Price Increase is Disgusting

I purchased 2 phones 16 months ago and got a 5GB lifetime deal for 3 years at £4.13 per month. It has now increased to £13 per month an increase of 225% and having rang 789 and spoken to customer advisors there is apparently nothing I can do because...

1. The small print of my contract with them states they can increase the price at their discretion. 

2. I apparently was sent an email in a February 2019 and given a month to cancel my contract.

I explained that it was unfair and immoral hooking customers into a 3 year deal for 2 phones by offering a very low price and then less than half way through the contract increase it so much. I also explained that I hadn’t seen the email and was told that’s my fault.

in a nutshell, Virgin Media have hooked me and many other customers into a deal by offering a low price and then as it’s no longer affordable for them increased it by 225% and because I was sent an email in February Virgin feels this is all fair and square.  I know that legally I probably cannot do anything and the manager I spoke to wasn’t interested in fairness and kept quoting terms and conditions to me but I will make it my mission to let everyone I know about this disgraceful behaviour. What ever happened to customer care and fairness?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Mobile Contract Price Increase is Disgusting

789 are lying big time. You are not the first in this position.

With a Freestyle tariff the airtime and handset loans are separate.  The airtime is 30 days rolling and can be cancelled  and you are free to go elsewhere provided you keep the handset loan going.

If they try to keep you to the airtime for three years they are openly flaunting OFCOM rules which state that 3 year SIM contracts are illegal.

Someone else on here is already getting on to OFCOM about this.  I suggest you flag the same.

The moderators seem strangely quiet about this. I, and others, would like to hear what they say.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

teabag
Superstar
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@enlli wrote: "The moderators seem strangely quiet about this. I, and others, would like to hear what they say."

It does look like orders have been given to not get involved/avoid this subject?.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Keith9534
Dialled in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

...and the mobile pages of accounts have not been available for a few days
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi ashipway,

What you've been advised regarding the price rise is mostly correct. We did notify customers in advance to let them know it was happening and advised of the options available. It does state in the terms and conditions that we reserve the right to make changes and we would notify you in advance and in writing, advising you of the changes and your options.

If you are wishing to cancel the tariff you certainly can do so, however you would need to speak to our mobile team on 789 / 0345 600 0789 as this is something the forum team are unable to do. As you've been advised by enlli you can cancel the airtime but would need to continue paying off the handset loan.

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos