Menu
NitramV
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

MMS not working on Samsung J5 2017

At the beginning of Dec 2017 I upgraded to a J5 2017. Over Christmas I wanted to received some MMS messages of the family with pictures but the phone refuses to accept them. Having looked on other forums it is evidently a problem with the phone. I have tried a suggested cure from this forum and when I get to the 'EDIT ACCESS POINT' screen all of the options are grayed out so I am unable to change them.

Some help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to have to return the phone to Virgin and cancel the contract.

0 Kudos
NitramV
Joining in
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: MMS not working on Samsung J5 2017

I am very surprised that someone from the Virgin team hasn't replied to the above post, even an acknowledgement would have been appreciated as that might indicate somebody is actively looking at the problem. When you purchase a new piece equipment you have a legal right that states it will work as advertised and not be expected to trawl through reams of irrelevant information.

Usually when dealing with Virgin by phone etc one gets through to a representative fairly quickly and they are extremely helpful, well informed and will go out of their way to help or resolve a problems. This is not reflected here and it would appear that no-one associated with the Virgin team on this site is particularly interest. Response like this I find very disappointing as it tarnishes what has been, up to now,  a very efficient service. I must say that in future I will look at alternative suppliers first when I want to change or upgrade services or equipment.

Very poor show

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's usually a week or more for a response for a enquiry like yours :-(

You say the options to edit are greyed out, but will it let you add new APN's?.
Also you don't say how old the SIM is, different APN's are needed for the old SIM's to the new purple SIM's.

Edit: also do you have mobile data switched on and working OK.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only x2. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Petemac18
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It definitely isn't the phone but the service, I had exactly the same problem, I also bought a new Samsung J5, put my new sim in and all ok except mobile data and MMS all calls and text were fine!

I tried the settings found somewhere on here but still no joy. I eventually went into my local Virgin store and was sorted by a very helpful young lady who made a quick phone call and within 5 minutes I was up and running. Apparently they reset my mobile data their end and sent me a new configuration message, which was quite different to the ones found on here.

Listening to the call she made it was clear that this is a wide spread issue.

Anyhow I think this could be your solution, go into a store, it's much easier and instantly de-stressed me!

Good luck!

0 Kudos
NitramV
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for your replies my previous somewhat acerbic post. Teabag, the phone was purchased from a local VM shop. It was supplied with a SIM card and the data transferred from my old phone by use of an app of some sort, which meant that I retained all my contact data etc. plus my old number. According to the young lady in the shop the new type SIM cards hold a very different set of data compared to the older ones. 

edit insert: Teabag, correct me if I am wrong, I have been led to believe that 'Mobile Data' is only required to be 'On' when sending MMS messages but can be left 'Off' when receiving. The problem with Mobile Data being left 'On' is that the phone transfers small packages of data on the hour every hour and while this does not significantly impinge on the free data allowance it does mean that when you want to interrogate the bill there are often over 50 pages of it.

Petemac18 as you suggest I would have gone to the shop and asked fro help there but currently this is not an option as both my wife and I have had and are still recovering from a bout of the Aussie flu and at 75 it tends to knock the stuffing out of one for a bit. As you say the phone is great and I am having fun exploring all its functions.

Thank you both for your replies and once fitter I will visit the VM shop and try to de-stress.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I can't say if your wrong or right, but I've always thought data needed to be on for receiving a MMS aswell, maybe ask when well enough to get into the Virgin shop.

Hope you and your wife recover soon, did you both get flu jabs this year?
P.S. can you let me know your postcode so I can stay clear of the area 😉
NitramV
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Teabag

Yep we had our flu jabs well before Christmas but still manged to catch it somewhere around Wolverhampton but it didn't show till we got home to the Reading area. Since then we haven't been out so little chance of spreading it; thank heaven for fridge freezers. Hope you mange to miss it.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@teabag wrote:
I can't say if your wrong or right, but I've always thought data needed to be on for receiving a MMS aswell, maybe ask when well enough to get into the Virgin shop.

Hope you and your wife recover soon, did you both get flu jabs this year?
P.S. can you let me know your postcode so I can stay clear of the area 😉

What he said. MMS needs to use cellular data. SO switch it on, receive the MMS, switch it off again.

0 Kudos
pbarrett
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

This is driving me mad guys. Misses has had a new j5 for Christmas and have had no mobile data since.

obviously done all the basics.....ensured mobile data is on, disabled, renabled etc. No firewalls on, McAfee etc., restarted phone. Reconnected to virgin network aftermath scan etc.

Configure messages resent by mail and installed to no avail.

manual reconfigure of access points changed, to no avail.

new sim sent, installed, activated to no avail.

new confit messages auto sent and installed, to no avail.

still ploughing through forums, but I think it's their end. Phone works fine with my sim in it.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi pbarrett

Can only suggest making a new APN with settings below, save and then click the radio button to select it, from what you have said - if it still is not working after doing above, I would say it is something amiss at Virgin's side. In a few days one the Forum Team should reply and offer to help check things through their side.

Name: WEB
APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
MMSC: http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
MMS proxy: 193.30.166.2
MMS port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 38
Authentication type: CHAP
APN type: *
APN Protocol: IPv4
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4
Leave all other options blank/Not set

0 Kudos