cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing network connection abroad

docherty
Tuning in

Hello

Last year I was away in Germany for a while. I'd set my phone to roaming, and it automatically found a network. However, after a moment of two it would somehow disconnect, and I'd have to switch to aeroplane mode and back again for it to reconnect, only for it to do the same. I'm using a oneplus 7 pro.

I spent sometime fiddling with settings, and also some time on the phone to Virgin, but wasn't able to resolve it. It wasn't the end of the world - there was just enough time to open google maps and check a route, or get my covid passport up or whatever - but it clearly isn't ideal.

It was all fine again back in England, and I kind of forgot about it - but I'm about to go abroad again, to Spain, and wanted to know if there was any advice to stop it happening again? Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @docherty,

Thanks for getting in touch - I'm extremely jealous that you're travelling to the land of heat! 🌞

I'm sorry to hear you had trouble last time with your Roaming. Hopefully, we can get things sorted beforehand so you don't have this issue in Spain! You'll need to make sure that your Roaming is completely set up on both your device, and your account. 

1. Log in to Your Account and head to Plan & Device
  2. Select Manage Services
  3. Find the Going Abroad section and set the slider to ON
  4. Make sure International Call Barring is switched OFF

When you're in Spain, just reboot your device and you should connect. You can find out more information on using Virgin Mobile abroad here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-roaming-hub

If you have any other questions, just let us know 🙂

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, I'd checked all the instructions prior to going and think I'd done all that. As I say, it would work briefly, then stop, requiring me to stop and restart the connection to get it working for a minute or two. Is that a common issue, or one that indicates I'd missed some particular thing prior to travel? As mentioned, I also discussed with virgin support staff when I was away who couldn't identify the cause of the problem. Could it somehow be phone specific (oneplus 7 pro)? 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @docherty,

Thank you for coming back to us. I completely understand how frustrating this must have been for you.

This is not a common issue to my knowledge, and if this issue comes up again, we'll be more than happy to investigate this while you're abroad.

We do also have a dedicated Using Your Virgin Mobile Abroad page which outlines everything that we recommend you do before travelling. Please take a look at that page to see if there's any steps you missed that could potentially impact your connection abroad. Please keep us updated so we can help further.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi

An update on this - I went abroad to Spain, and had the exact same issue. I'd double checked all the settings as outlined in the advice, and everything looked good; once abroad, the phone would connect and be fine for a minute or two, then lose connection. Rebooting or switching aeroplane mode on and off again would enable it to reconnect, but only briefly. Wifi worked without issue.

I didn't try and get help this time when I was away, as Iast time I spent an age on the phone with various people who didn't seem super helpful, and weren't able to resolve it. I mention it again in this forum now only because I might be going abroad again in the autumn, and I'm not sure what to do (possibly get a PAYG sim from a different provider? Though that is a nuisance as people won't know the number. Possibly get a cheap phone and use my current sim? Though if the issue is with my sim that wouldn't help).

Any ideas much appreciated - thanks.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there docherty,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the same issues appearing again. Can I ask, does your phone allow you to manually select a network when you are abroad?

If so is it still affecting your service?

Also does anyone else within your household have a Virgin SIM with the same issue?

Let us know,

Kain

Thanks Kain

From memory, it automatically selects the network, but in the phone settings I can choose to manually select. I think I tried this, without success.

Nobody else in my household has a virgin sim, I'm afraid - my partner was using an iphone on ee both times we were away, and didn't have any issues.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply. 

If you are experiencing issue both at home and abroad, we would need to look in to the possibility that the SIM is having some issues. 

Have you previously received a new SIM from ourselves? 

Nat

The issues are purely abroad - but might a new sim help anyway??

Hi Docherty, 

Thanks for coming back to us about this issue you're having with your mobile settings whilst abroad, I am sorry if it's caused some frustration for you. 

I'll be happy to get a replacement SIM sent to you, I'll get a PM sent over to you now 🙂

Speak soon!

Thanks,

Megan_L