cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Login not working for Wifi hotspots on London Underground

inigojames
Joining in

I've recently joined Virgin Mobile partly so I can use the WiFi on the London Underground. However when I join the WiFi and it asks me to login I select Virgin Mobile and put in my login details but it won't log in and I get the error in the attached screenshot (I selected Virgin Mobile, not Broadband). I know my username and password are correct because they work when I log in to my account.

Screenshot_20201213-152451.png

Please can someone advise what I need to do to get the London Underground WiFi to work? 

25 REPLIES 25

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The best way is to download the Connect app and let it configure your device for hotsposts - this includes the London Underground along with others in the UK and abroad.

If not you can set up your device for just the 'Virgin Media 'hotspots manually

Details are here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/sim-wifi-authentication-faqs
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

I've tried the connect app, but it seems that there's also a problem with it: "Sorry, something went wrong. There was no server response. Please try again in a few minutes"

How can I get the login issue sorted?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What device are you using? Unfortunately it doesn't currently work with Android 11 devices.

You can use the manual instructions in the link I posted above if you can't use the Connect app to configure your devices.

Thank you. Yes I'm using Android 11 on a Pixel 2.

I tried the manual authentication method but when I tried to change the EAP method the Network just said unsecured and there was no option for AKA. I will try again next time.

Can I get the log in method fixed as well?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are two Virgin Media networks in the Underground so make sure you pick the right one for the EAP option. It needs to be 'Virgin Media' not 'Virgin Media WiFi'.

'Virgin Media WiFi' is an open network as it's the only way to allow a connection before seeing the login screen. All secure networks require details before connection.

Both the Connect app and EAP for Virgin Mobile customers using a SIM allow for the device to be configured for the details in advance, so use the secure 'Virgin Media' network.

Hi again

I have tried setting up the AKA authentication method for Virgin Media this evening while at the tube station and it didn't work. It just stuck on connecting:

Screenshot_20201214-215302.pngScreenshot_20201214-215314.png

What should I try next? One of the key reasons I picked Virgin was to retain WiFi access on the tube.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi inigojames, 

Thank you for posting and providing all the information requested. 

To clarify, have you been able to access other hot spots successfully? 

Also could you please confirm if you have attempted to use another device? 

Thank you 

Nat

Hi,

i am also having the same issue and I have followed the instructions set and it just says connecting on the ‘virgin media’ section for WiFi.

i have also tried using the virgin media WiFi connect app and it just says “connected to mobile network, connected using WiFi, move closer to WiFi hotspot and we’ll automatically connect you.” Does that means I’m connected or not? I’m confused.

Hello robocop2021

This is a bit confusing to be honest 

The next time you are near a hot spot, can you please disable the Mobile network and see if that allow you to connect to a hotspot 

Gareth_L