Menu
Reply
  • 24
  • 0
  • 1
DaveMobile
Tuning in
529 Views
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Local mobile wifi

Has anyone any ideas for this please?

Yesterday with 4G displayed on my mobile I was roaming local to my home in UK: all visible networks were locked but included 'Virgin Media' - However, this asked me for a user ID and password... which of course I could not provide.   I thought this Network was the way Virgin was now supposed to automatically facilitate roaming wifi to travelling subscribers (?).

Now back at home, this Network is still displayed in "Choose a Network" on my phone even though I am connected on wifi via my Virgin hub (which has the usual 2-bands available).

Help please: where can I find sign-on details for Virgin Media wifi?

Any info would be appreciated!

 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 5.23K
  • 723
  • 1.47K
teabag
Superstar
524 Views
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Local mobile wifi

To access the "Virgin Media" WiFi hotspots, you need to download and install the Virgin Media Connect App onto your phone, available for Android or iOS.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

 

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 4.46K
  • 302
  • 748
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
513 Views
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Local mobile wifi

The user ID and password are the same as the ones for your VM account. That's how I connect for the London Underground, never needed the app.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 19.74K
  • 2.02K
  • 3.77K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
474 Views
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Local mobile wifi


@Roger_Gooner wrote:

The user ID and password are the same as the ones for your VM account. That's how I connect for the London Underground, never needed the app.


Accessing the other hotspots is different. You do need the app in order to manage the security settings on your device for the hotspot network.

Also if you use the app you'll connect to a secure SSID version of the London Underground network. The network that can be accessed without the app uses an open SSID.

**********************************
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 13
  • 0
  • 1
DeliriousHenri
Tuning in
461 Views
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Local mobile wifi

Don't bother using 'Virgin Media Connect' on the rare occasion it will actually connect.

Find the older Virgin Wifi app (version number is 8.4.3 before the overhaul). That works wonders and actually saves the WiFi profile, the newer one is always accessing your gps location to determine if you're in a hotspot visible on their map, however, I can see hotspots which are not on their map from VM.

The newer version also seems to mess about with the currently connected Wifi network and disconnect you for some reason. Honestly, even VM themselves couldn't fix the bug and seems to like the new approach of WiFi profile implementation of when you're in a geolocation of their hotspot. Just save the profiles on the device!

Oh and disable auto updates, you don't want the bugged app to install again.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 5.23K
  • 723
  • 1.47K
teabag
Superstar
441 Views
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Local mobile wifi


@BenMcr wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

The user ID and password are the same as the ones for your VM account. That's how I connect for the London Underground, never needed the app.


Accessing the other hotspots is different. You do need the app in order to manage the security settings on your device for the hotspot network.

Also if you use the app you'll connect to a secure SSID version of the London Underground network. The network that can be accessed without the app uses an open SSID.


 

Just to add, if the underground connection is like down my local pub/come restaurant - when it's busy the standard "the cloud" grinds to a halt, but the apps "the cloud X" connection is fine 😉

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
  • 5.23K
  • 723
  • 1.47K
teabag
Superstar
434 Views
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Local mobile wifi


@DeliriousHenri wrote:

Don't bother using 'Virgin Media Connect' on the rare occasion it will actually connect.

Find the older Virgin Wifi app (version number is 8.4.3 before the overhaul). That works wonders and actually saves the WiFi profile, the newer one is always accessing your gps location to determine if you're in a hotspot visible on their map, however, I can see hotspots which are not on their map from VM.

The newer version also seems to mess about with the currently connected Wifi network and disconnect you for some reason. Honestly, even VM themselves couldn't fix the bug and seems to like the new approach of WiFi profile implementation of when you're in a geolocation of their hotspot. Just save the profiles on the device!

Oh and disable auto updates, you don't want the bugged app to install again.


 

For me the Connect app was opposite, it would keep connecting to my neighbors hotspot over my home WiFi ☹️

But the latest version (11.8.73.1(2)) seems to be behaving itself, will need to give a bit longer though before I can say it is fixed 😀

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 4.46K
  • 302
  • 748
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
425 Views
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Local mobile wifi


@BenMcr wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

The user ID and password are the same as the ones for your VM account. That's how I connect for the London Underground, never needed the app.


Accessing the other hotspots is different. You do need the app in order to manage the security settings on your device for the hotspot network.

Also if you use the app you'll connect to a secure SSID version of the London Underground network. The network that can be accessed without the app uses an open SSID.


As it happens I only use the WiFi to connect to a few websites like bbc.co.uk and google.com via https.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 24
  • 0
  • 1
DaveMobile
Tuning in
373 Views
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Local mobile wifi

It's funny, but since I first posted the option to connect to Virgin has never reappeared - not only at the same location which we tend to visit 3-5 times per week but in fact, anywhere!

I did renew the Connect app on my iphone - only because when I tried to look at it, it said I didn't exist (I don really, honest!) and it went through the motions ending up by telling I would connect to hotspots or Virgin in future...

I suppose I'm lucky that most of the time I pick up a 4G signal on Virgin which gives me the internet stuff I actully need such as emails etc.  In comparison our son has a BT mobile account with an all singing and dancing iPhone 7 (or 8?) and it works just about anywhere - but then he's paying something like 28 squids a month for the privilege!

 

 

 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 436
  • 25
  • 27
Forum Team
Forum Team
368 Views
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Local mobile wifi

Hey Dave Mobile, 

 

Thank you for the update. 

 

Is everything working at the moment? 

 

Keep me posted. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Reply