Menu
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Live: Ask the Experts with Nokia

Hi!

Welcome to our Virgin Media Community Ask the Experts live chat with our @NokiaExpert from the Nokia mobile team.

We'll be getting started at 10am - but do feel free to start asking away about Nokia's mobile range -  including the iconic Nokia 3310, apps and features, what's round the corner in the tech world - or even a humblebrag about your high score on Snake

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Live: Ask the Experts with Nokia

A warm welcome to Brian and Gaelle our @NokiaExpert team today.

Nokia are back! We've seen the nostalgia-heavy but future-friendly Nokia 3310 on shelves, and the Nokia 8 is a thing of real beauty.

So where did you go, and what's behind the relaunch?

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Special Guest
Special Guest
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the positivity and I'm sure our designers would love your comments about the devices! Nokia is known around the world for its history of innovation, including in mobile phones. As the new home of Nokia phones with HMD we will be writing the next chapter for these products. At HMD we believe that technology can enhance and improve the lives of billions of people around the world....and we are very excited and thrilled to see the positivity from customers enjoying our Nokia phones running Android. Together, we aim to enhance the lives of our customers, and bring the people of this big planet just a little closer together Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I’ll kick start you with a couple.

In your eyes, what made the original 3310 such an iconic phone?

What led to the rebirth of the 3310, and did it live up to your guys expectations? Or has the markets shift to more smartphones made it a hard rebirth?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

It's great to have you back. Snake Nokia was the first step for a lot of us into mobile phones, and it's always nice to have a familiar face around.

You're now producing handsets which use a pure form of Android. Can you explain what this means?

0 Kudos
Special Guest
Special Guest
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@Shafreya I still have my original 3310 with it's blue cover...I also have the see through one!  The Nokia 3310 we brought to the market has wildly popular, it retained that nostalgic and famed Nokia build quality and feel, but evolved to capture todays market.  The battery life is amazing with up to 27 days standby off a single charge...perfect for those need a device for talk and text but stay connected to friends.  Plus, there's Snake on board to keep you entertained!

0 Kudos
Special Guest
Special Guest
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Great question, yes sure....when we talk about Android on Nokia phones we talk about them being 'Pure, Secure, and up to date'.  What this means is that the Android OS, look and feel, is how Google intended it to be - No bloatware, quicker updates and more secure.  

Due to Nokia phones running a pure version of Android it means testing and releasing new software and security updates is far quicker than most other manufacturers who sit their own experiences on top.  In essence, the customer gets more memory and performance due to no bloatware, a more secure and up to date device as monthly security and software updates are sent quicker.

0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @NokiaExpert - so can you tell us if and when you'll be getting the new Android Oreo OS on your Nokia handsets?

0 Kudos
Special Guest
Special Guest
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Wooo it's on it's way!  The rollout for Nokia 8 has already begun, Nokia 5 users can join the Oreo Beta (via the Play store) and Nokia 3 is coming soon!  If you would like to know a little more about the benefits it brings to our devices check out:

https://www.android.com/versions/oreo-8-0/

0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Awesome, thanks.
Back to the 3310 (not that we're a little bit in love with it or anything)... if I can find the charger, will my original Nokia 3310 still work if I put a new VM sim in it? It won't get 4G, will it?

0 Kudos