Menu
Sallystar80
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Lifetime discount lasted 18 months

When I purchased my phone and tariff I was given a "Lifetime discount" of £10.

This made my call plan £10 per month (reduced from £20).

I was informed recently that my tariff was changing to £24... ok i thought, nearly a 20% rise on the full price (& almost 50% increase on my actual charge!) seems steep but i will only be paying £14 so I guess I can live with it. 

Low and behold, a month later, I get my bill and they've debited £24 from my bank! I call to question it, I'm told that my discount only applied to the tariff i was on before and that now the tariff has been discontinued, my discount has gone too.

Um... not sure what lifetime means to everyone in this forum but to take my monthly charge from £10 to £24 after just 18 months of being a customer is absolutely disgusting. I don't even get anything extra for it. Same allowances, same phone, same everything. 

I'm furious and now that a month has passed I don't even think i can leave without penalty. "Customer services" was, as ever, rude and sarcastic, pointing out that "you were sent an email".... yes but it didn't tell me that I'd lose this discount, why would I think that i would?? I had yo wait until i got my bill to find out that little bombshell.

I can't afford the new tariff, I didn't ask for it and I'm furious!

Please advise!!!!!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lifetime discount lasted 18 months

it the lifetime of the tariff, not your lifetime.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Sallystar80
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yes thank you. I'm not a moron. I didn't think it would last for the next 50 years. I merely assumed it would at least last the length of my 24 month contract ... especially when I haven't chosen to change my tariff. 

I'm asking for advice as to how i get out of my contract since virgin have imposed this change on me without my consent 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you have a Classic contract where you pay for your phone and plan in one payment, you would have had a 30 day right to cancel before the new price applied. That would have been covered in the notification you were sent and it would also cover when that right to cancel option ended.

If you have a Freestyle contract, where your phone and plan are two separate payments, your plan is a 30 day SIM so can be cancelled at any time. You'd still need to complete the payments for your phone handset.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Daisy111
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Do the advisors know about this??

I've just tried to ask about cancelling the SIM part (for this exact reason), but he keeps bleating on about early exit for the handset - I don't want to change the handset contract, just want to cancel the SIM and move to a different network.

My "lifetime" deal was supposed to be 5 x data allowance - they just removed that and tripled my monthly SIM charge without asking, guy on the phone was useless and wouldn't put me through to a manager.

Edit: I'm 18 months through a 3 year contract, I too expected the "lifetime" bit to at least cover the time of the contract!!

0 Kudos
Keith9534
Dialled in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Ask for a deadlock letter. Don`t bother with CEDR/CISAS and go to OFFCOM
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yes, advisors do know that you can continue to pay for your handset if you cancel the plan part of a Freestyle plan.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Keith9534
Dialled in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Different advisors give different advice BUT you can stop one part of the contract ( overpriced inflated SIM ) and keep paying off the handset as per the original terms.

You cannot be held in an unfair contract if its been sold as two seperate contracts from the start

0 Kudos
Daisy111
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Can you go into a bit more detail about how I should complain please?

What's a deadlock letter - ask Virgin for this and log with OFFCOM yes?

I've now calmed down a bit, was furious after speaking to advisor who refused to pass me to a manager because "they'll just tell you the same thing"!!

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Daisy111 wrote:

Do the advisors know about this??

I've just tried to ask about cancelling the SIM part (for this exact reason), but he keeps bleating on about early exit for the handset - I don't want to change the handset contract, just want to cancel the SIM and move to a different network.

My "lifetime" deal was supposed to be 5 x data allowance - they just removed that and tripled my monthly SIM charge without asking, guy on the phone was useless and wouldn't put me through to a manager.

Edit: I'm 18 months through a 3 year contract, I too expected the "lifetime" bit to at least cover the time of the contract!!

Seems to be a problem lots are having when trying to cancel SIM side 😞

If you can't get passed their incorrect information, take it further, Virgin work with Resolver to get problems sorted.

Edit: remember to add the date you tried to cancel in the info, you notice period should start from that date.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos