Menu
alisonmcc
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Leaving Virgin Media having to give 60 days notice

30 days ago I rang virgin to get a pac code - I had a lengthy discussion with the lady about why I was leaving - I was leaving because my contract price had been automatically increased to a higher tariff leaving me paying for data I didnt use.  She offered me a reduced price contract but I declined and said I was definately leaving as I objected to being moved tariff without any say in the matter.  

Finally she agreed to give me a pac code and she told me that the code would expire in 30 days.

I am aware that I need to give 30 days notice on my account - as I had paid in full for the 30 days I did not use my pac code until the 27th day.  I have now been charged for a further 30 days as it appears that virgin do not start the 30 days until the pac code is used.  This means you are paying for a service that you are unable to use which feels somewhat immoral and maybe illegal.

How can you leave a mobile provider without them charging you for a service you cannot use.  this smacks of dodgy dealing

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Leaving Virgin Media having to give 60 days notice

You get a refund a few weeks later
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Asking for a PAC doesn't automatically give your notice period. There are two things you can do when you want to leave Virgin Media

1. Ask for a PAC
2. Give notice to stop your pay monthly plan

If you only have a PAC, then if you don't use it your services continue. If you do use it, your notice is given by it's use, and so that's when your 30 days notice starts.

You have to specifically say you want to cancel your plan at the same time as asking for the PAC if you definitely want your monthly plan and payments to stop 30 days after the PAC request.

This is explained here https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
alisonmcc
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

typical so they tie you up in knots having to use very specific terminology especially as you have to spend about 20 mins on the phone arguing to get the pac code in the first place - i made it very clear I was leaving.

the thing is if you use the pac code straight away virgin get thirty days of money and provide no service 

disgusted - glad I am leaving very dirty tactics.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

All mobile providers work in the same way in the UK.

Just getting a PAC is not a cancellation notice - if you don't use it you stay with whichever provider you got the PAC from.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

To be fair, some networks that I've looked at previously, count the 30days as running concurrently with the PAC code. That's not to say the PAC won't lapse if unused, and of course the 30day clock would then reset.

But if the PAC is used on, say, day 25 and you port on day 27, then you'd only be charged 3 days unused notice. It sounds from this thread like Virgin Mobile charge the whole 30days from when the PAC is used, which makes it impossible to avoid if you are porting out. A subtly different approach I guess.

0 Kudos