cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lack of data since updating SIM card

JimJagger
Tuning in

Hello,

I was recently requested to change my SIM card so I followed the instructions outlined in the letter I received.  My new SIM card is in the phone and it allows me to make calls but I don't have any data.

When I called 789, I was told this would 'just work' in a few days but I am still waiting for this to be activated.  Do I need to do anything else?  It's very frustrating that I have 'upgraded' to something that appears to be broken.

I'm loathed to call again, go through the various call options, be placed on hold and then to be told to keep waiting.  Can anyone check my SIM?

Thanks,

Jim

9 REPLIES 9

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Jim,

I'm sorry to hear you've been having issues with your new SIM card and have been unable to use data services.

I'll pop you over a PM now so I can take a look at your account and SIM from this end. If you have been able to make calls, it's likely that your SIM has been activated.

Thanks

Beth

Thanks Beth. I look forward to your assistance

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for confirming your details and clearing security.

So I've had a look at your account and it looks like your SIM was updated due to the Vodafone migration. We are currently in the process of migrating out customers from the EE network over to the Vodafone network.

I've checked your postcode in the Vodafone coverage checker, and sadly it looks like there is currently only coverage for 2G. 3G, 4G and 5G are not available in your area at the moment. 

I completely appreciate it was not your choice to move to Vodafone and the frustration with now having a lack of signal, so I can allow you to leave your SIM contract if you wish without penalty and provide you with a PAC if you wish to take your number to a different provider which has better coverage in your area

Of course, we'd love for you to stay, however due to the lack of coverage and the network not being owned by us, there isn't much we can do to make any improves to the coverage.

Please do let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Kind regards

Beth

That's funny. I have a work phone with a Vodafone contract and I have perfect reception with that one.

Hi Jim,

Oh, that's really strange. You can take a look at your coverage here and it only shows 2G currently.

Have you tried switching the SIMs round in the handsets to see if you have the same issues with the SIM individually?

Beth

Coverage appears to be fine in EH9 2BN. I've tried the SIM in another phone and it's the same issue - nothing but phone signal i.e. no data

Oh I've checked again and now the coverage is showing fine, how odd. I perhaps put the postcode in incorrectly. I am sorry about that.

So do you have no data connection at all? I've reset your network for you now and turned your data off and on again. Can you please reboot your handset and let me know if that has helped?

Thanks

Beth

This is working correctly now. Thank you

Hi there @JimJagger, thanks for letting us know this is now working.

Please let us know if you need anything further.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules