cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues receiving OTP text messages

ModTeam

Hi All, 

We are aware that some customers may be experiencing issues receiving OTP text messages.

Our support team are investigating this issue and we will update this thread with any progress. 

Thanks

Mod Team

486 REPLIES 486

Hi @Alfie991,

Welcome to back our community forums.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue when trying to receive a one time code text from your virgin bank. We want to further look into this for you. Are you able to provide the following:

• Date and time the SMS was expected
  • Who the message was from

This will help us further look into this issue and help us work towards a resolution.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

HughJarsse
Knows their stuff

'Sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue when trying to receive a one time code text from your virgin bank. We want to further look into this for you. Are you able to provide the following:

• Date and time the SMS was expected
  • Who the message was from

This will help us further look into this issue and help us work towards a resolution.'

Amazing, isn't it, that after FOURTEEN MONTHS, VM are STILL asking the same questions, and STILL saying  'this will help us work towards a resolution'

What are the 'it section' actually DOING with all this 'information' they are being given??

NOTHING it appears, considering we are 14 months on from VM's 'official' statement' (though the issue was reported months earlier!!)

This will NEVER be sorted, that is OBVIOUS. VM just hoping that eventually we will just stop complaining and accept this does not work...

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@HughJarsse

Something for your delectation. Seems this IT team is a mythical creature.

This on broadband 

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/09/virgin-media-o2-uk-still-suffers-router-bug-that-expos...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

HughJarsse
Knows their stuff

'Seems this IT team is a mythical creature'

Enlli, why am I not surprised by this? 

Along with the 'customer support' and the 'credit checking' team,  Never has been, never will be, these will remain 'mythical' 

More chance of finding hens teeth, or rocking horse poo than a VM 'IT technician' as for a department of them.   DREAM ON.

(VM don't even understand what IT stands for. They think it's 'Inept Timewasters' (which is what they appear to be)) 🤡 

From your linky;

'Arguably the bigger concern here is the passage of time and how the issue, despite being reported two whole years ago, still hasn’t been fixed. Virgin Media did inform us that they were working on a technical fix, which could be implemented while avoiding disruption for all of their customers. But there’s no indication of how much longer that will take before it’s deployed.'

So, by these standards, this OTP/2FA problem is in it's infancy, compared to that one,  so, will this one fare any better??  (Answers on the back of a postage stamp) 🤣

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you mean OTP not OTA??

Try ringing them. Sorted mine out!

VrgnMblSux
Tuning in

About 24 hours ago my Amazon OTPs just stopped being received on my phone (they used to work but it had been a couple of months since I had one)- I thought my Amazon account had been hacked so spent a long time with Amazon customer services trying to establish that.

I never thought it could have been a problem with my Virgin phone number but tried by setting Amazon up to send OTPs to a different phone number on a different network, which worked fine.

I spent some time on the phone with Virgin Mobile customer service but it didn't lead to anything. 

However I've now managed to find a way around this on my phone (Xiaomi 9SE). I had to set the preferred network type to "3G" instead of "LTE" (which I believe is 4G). Reliably, if I set the phone to prefer LTE, I do not receive Amazon OTPs (but I do receive OTPs for other providers), and if I set the phone to prefer 3G, I do receive Amazon OTPs.

This is obviously due to some problem with the Virgin network. 

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @VrgnMblSux

Welcome to the community and thanks for your first post, we're happy to have you with us. 

I'm sorry to hear you've been having issues receiving OTP text messages, I appreciate this is frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

Thank you for sharing a way you've found to work around this for the time being, I appreciate this isn't ideal. 

As soon as we have any updates on the progress of this, our mod team will post them on this thread. 

Thanks,  

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Pardon me if I'm sceptical. I was supposedly put through to some tech support team, and I wasted over an hour on hold. 75 minutes and still on hold with the same stupid music playing in loop. 8 had to hang up because I ran out of time. The original person I got from calling 789 tried some things but they didn't work and had to put me through to this other team, which never picked up.

This problem has clearly been apparent for months, if not coming on to years, by the looks of past threads. Yet all responses to this are the standard "we are looking into it". 

Essentially, I don't see why I should have to basically disable some of my phone functionality to get something basic to work. And you are clearly doing nothing about this. 

At the very least, it would help to have some technical explanation for what the problem is. 

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with us, this is not the level of service we aim to provide and we apologise. 

Apologies I don't have more information for you. 

As advised, we'll update you when we have the information for you. 

Regards,

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide