cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues receiving OTP text messages

ModTeam

Hi All, 

We are aware that some customers may be experiencing issues receiving OTP text messages.

Our support team are investigating this issue and we will update this thread with any progress. 

Thanks

Mod Team

486 REPLIES 486

Hi Thanks - I may try visiting a shop once one opens again after lockdown as I just cannot face the thought of trying phone support with them anymore..

One thing though, are you referring to your phone not receiving texts even though you have good 3G/4G signal? as in my case, there is no phone signal at my weekday office, but there is great broadband (BT) which I was told would be ok with both voicecalls and sms - but clearly not...

regards
Paul

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ThommoHawk wrote:
Hi Thanks - I may try visiting a shop once one opens again after lockdown as I just cannot face the thought of trying phone support with them anymore..

regards
Paul

Not a Virgin Shop, they have all been closed down for good. Only so called phone support.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

same issue  with amazon and  there is    one  other  which i can not  find  paper i wrote name on

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @wyre,

Thanks for the further info. I can see there hasn't been any recent updates given on this thread for a while, so I have requested some more information from the relevant team and will post back once I know more.

Many thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Pipes
On our wavelength

Hi Molly,  are you kidding.  There are 10 pages of complaints, including several of us turning to CISAS.  VM have given no satisfactory response to the issue.  Is there nothing you can do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wrote to the MD of Virgin Media and guess what?? No response!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why don't we write to Watch Dog on TV? They seem to get things sorted

naxman
On our wavelength

Having gone to CISAS, a representative from Virgin CEO office rang me.  They didn’t know the nature of my complaint, so I explained the situation.  They said they had never heard of the problem of non-delivery of OTP’s so I directed him to this thread.

He ordered me a new SIM card and said he would phone the next day – I’m still awaiting that call.

On a good note, the SIM arrived, you had to text READY to a number then wait for a text telling you to change the SIMs over.

After texting READY, I saw that the network service had dropped so it would be impossible to receive further texts.

I took a chance and put in the new SIM – bingo! The text telling me to change SIMs came through immediately.  Then I tried logging into one of my financial institutions where OTP’s had been a problem and the OTP came through within seconds.

My partner had the same problem so rang Virgin and persuaded them to send him a new SIM – same thing happed after texting READY, the cellular service stopped but on swapping to the new SIM it came back and OTPs started working for him again.

So, in the first instance demand a new SIM from Virgin – maybe their latest batch has some different config that resolves the problem.

ThommoHawk
On our wavelength

Thanks naxman, however do you have normal phone signal where you are located?

I get the texts when I’m in an area with signal, but do not get them, nor calls reliably, when using the WiFi connect option as my office has zero phone signal. Virgin were aware of this when I joined them in January and they assured me that everything will work just fine for calls, texts etc even if only WiFi access is available.

Currently if anything requires 2FA / OTP whilst I’m at the office, the texts do not arrive and then all land in a flurry when I re-enter an area with phone signal.  This is usually once I arrive at home in the evening, very useful - NOT.. 

Pipes
On our wavelength

Glad that sorted out your problem.  It will be interesting to see how long it keeps working properly for.  That was the one thing VM tried with me about a year ago.  Although I got the OTP the next time I tried it, the OTPs then stopped coming through again, as is still the case.  Good luck!