Menu
abba2566
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Is virgin still on EE and what does that mean for my EE locked device?

During black friday, I upgraded to one of the new sim only deals and the lady said that they would also send out a new SIM to connect to a 'faster network.' 

I have an EE locked iPad Pro, which my current Virgin SIM works fine in. But when I installed the new one, initially it comes up with a message saying 'sim needs to be activated' and then as I go through the process, it appears to be working (I can see signal bars and LTE in the top corner) but then the activation fails and it says SIM not supported. 

Looking at some other posts, it seems to suggest that Virgin is moving to a new network and I can't see anywhere on the website where it explicitly says that Virgin uses the EE network. 

So does this mean that Virgin now has it's own mobile network?

Will it actually be 'faster?'

Will it have the same coverage?

Why haven't customers been properly informed?

And will I now have to go to EE to get my iPad unlocked to use the new sim?

For now the old one works fine, but the accompanying letter says the old one won't work in the future and the new sim is 'only active for a short amount of time' (presumably meaning if I don't set it up within a certain time period, it will become useless?)

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is virgin still on EE and what does that mean for my EE locked device?

Hi Abba2586, 

Really sorry you're having trouble using your new SIM on your iPad Pro, I'm sure we can get things sorted. 

So we're still working with EE and they will continue to provide you with the same great coverage and service. However there have been some issues with devices not working with the new SIM's and therefore the devices need to be network unlocked. 

It does sound like EE will need to unlock the iPad Pro for you, I'm sure if you give them a quick call this won't be an issue. In the meantime the new SIM will need to be activated within 30 days, if it's longer than that then we might need to send you another. 

Let me know how you get on with this and if there's anything further we can do to help. 

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Up to speed
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can't comment on your Ipad - but I can tell you that as it varies from Area to Area then you might get better or worse.

Unfortunately an EE locked device, as previously mentioned won't work.  (I've tested my S9+ and got asked for the unlock code)

I have an S9+ on EE's fastest plan - but recently it's been maxing out about 94mbps - Currently getting 75mbps not bad for the time of the day - I hit over 100 at night.

I have a Lenovo P2 which has my new VM sim in it - I get around 70mbps all the time on that as that's what the plans are capped at (unlimited is 50mbps down ways capped) we won't get as high priority as EE customer as VM is an MVNO but I still do all I do including streaming 4K on my phone with no issues - and my biggest frustration with EE was losing the data, the promo data does not but the main data does rolls over - I think for just a month before it resets (might be wrong but that's what the website suggests) so that's more than enough for most people!

Whatever speeds I get with VM I am paying over £60 a month less and getting x3 more data. I am very happy and I hope you will be too!

0 Kudos
abba2566
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma, 

Only just realised I hadn't replied to this. Was able to get it unlocked with no issues and the new sim is now working in the device.

I was a little concerned as I bought the device second hand, but that didn't cause any issues. 

Thanks you!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ah perfect, glad it's all sorted for you Smiley Happy 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Up to speed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

VM had an outage today - EE kept on working - it's EE only in signal everything else is Virgin's systems - so the whole unlocking thing is correct

0 Kudos