cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is EE slowing me down?

notnamedFred
Tuning in

If this as been answered before, sorry couldn’t find it. I’m in mid Wales on top of a big hill/mountain. I have a oomph sim (red one side purple the other) unlimited, I have two bars or 50% in settings, in an attempt to stop roaming/searching I searched available providers. The result,

O EE

O O2

O Vodaphone

O EE Internet

O Three

i have isolated each one in turn and the only one that offers anything is EE at the level above, at first I was getting 8 to 10.5 mb down but now I’m down to 2 to 3 mb up less than 0.2, the settings say less than 300kbs!

24 REPLIES 24

From looking at your account and the area you live in there doesn't appear to be any mast issues local to you but there are some in the area which may explain the fluctuation in the signal strength. As the masts are managed and maintained by EE they are aware of the issues and working to fix these as soon as possible.

Rob

Robert, I live in a different place where I’m talking about! I have a caravan in mid Wales in a place called Newchaple, Llanidloes. Sorry I thought I’d said this. We are virtually at the top of the highest point in this area, although in a shallow valley. It all started by me wanting to know how to increase my mobile signal. I have stood by some who are getting enough signal strength to FaceTime and I can not get a single bar. Hence the title.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you sure your device is still running on EE and has not been transitioned to Vodafone?

I ask because EE has a much stronger signal in that area whereasVodafone r is a bit hit or miss. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

To stop searching I have tried connecting to each signal in turn. I can only connect to EE, Vodafone is available but I cannot connect to it.  Not there at the moment but will be down again next week. My SIM card is red one side and purple on the other, if, that makes a difference? 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The funny thing is you should not see EE listed as it should have been replaced by Virgin

Virgin, Vodafone, 234 32, 3 UK and O2 - UK  is the normal reading of the SIM on Android and iOS

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

What also threw me was it being classed as a business sim for a day or so. Also puzzling is EE-internet but I couldn’t connect to it

Ok here’s a question, if EE is splitting it’s internet and phone/text apart and given that my sim is unlimited phone/text/data how are they going to get around individuals having to connect to two signals at the same time thus breaking regs. And is this why I am getting slow data speeds ie trying to get it down a phone stream?

just thinking out loud and I know sooner or later I’ll be swapped to Vodafone but it’s interesting how things are moving

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi NotnamedFred.

Thanks for your post.

Is the sim fine when you are not in mid whales in the mountainous areas? As you have said

We cannot guarantee service in all areas, as I can see your sim is EE, hosted you can check the coverage of the postcode where you are here.

Is it just slower than where you are now is this your issue?

Zoie

@notnamedFred wrote:

Ok here’s a question, if EE is splitting it’s internet and phone/text apart and given that my sim is unlimited phone/text/data how are they going to get around individuals having to connect to two signals at the same time thus breaking regs. And is this why I am getting slow data speeds ie trying to get it down a phone stream?

just thinking out loud and I know sooner or later I’ll be swapped to Vodafone but it’s interesting how things are moving

They aren't splitting the phone/text and internet signals. I suspect the network named "EE Internet" is the one that usually shows as "234 32". This is not for public use but is part of the Emergency Service Network operated by EE (https://business.ee.co.uk/large-business/esn/) so don't worry about that.

Looking at the area you mentioned, the town of Llanidloes itself looks to have good coverage from EE, but Newchapel doesn't have any masts and will rely on the signals from Llanidloes. If the area is especially busy with tourists that may cause slow downs, as there is only a single band (Band 3) with non of the others that can be used to increase coverage and/or capacity. 

Zoie_P, I don’t really know, I’ve never really used the sim or phone a lot before now and you can see how long I’ve had it! I cannot say how it is now because I’m at home and it’s in mid Wales! Back down beginning of next week. Cannot get into the habit of it sticking to my hand where ever I go.