Menu
historyofwomen
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Invalid sim/Network fail

I had a TT Sims flip phone (not a smart phone just calls and texts) with my Virgin Sim Card and it all worked perfectly. Then the phone was lost.

I bought the identical phone again and today I received a brand new sim from Virgin.

I put in the sim and it asked if I wanted to transfer the data over, and I replied "yes". But since then it refuses to make or receive calls, and shows error messages: "Invalid sim", alternating with "Network fail".

Please be patient with me and don't use jargon as I am elderly. My 38 year old lodger inserted the sim for me and although he is adept at mobiles and is glued to his at all time he is at a loss as to how to fix this.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Invalid sim/Network fail

Hi historyofwomen,

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our forums.

Very sorry to hear you are having trouble with your new handset.

Where did you buy your handset from? Was this bought from us or another provider with another SIM but you chose to use ours instead?

If this was bought from another provider, the handset could be locked to the other network meaning our SIM won't work in it unless the handset is 'unlocked'. You can get the handset unlocked by calling the provider you got the handset from.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you need any further help.

Regards

Lindsey_C Forums Team

0 Kudos
historyofwomen
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I bought the phone new on Amazon and it is most definitely NOT locked. It stated so in the listing. I went back and checked It says "unlocked,  no SIM". What is more, as I stated in my OP, my virgin SIM worked in this same make/model phone before.

Since posting my OP I have phoned virgin five times but nobody could help me. They just keep saying my new phone is faulty.

So I have bought another phone. Then we shall see if it is a phone fault.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for confirming this for me. 

I'm sorry to hear you haven't had the help you need. Please let us know how you get on with the SIM in the new handset.

Regards,

Lindsey_C Forums Team

0 Kudos
historyofwomen
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Lindsey, you may also be interested to know why I had to phone Virgin five times -- it was because the customer service agents repeatedly deliberately cut me off. It is frustrating to hear the recorded announcement say "we are committed to providing you with the highest level of customer service" then be sworn at by someone and then rudely cut off just because you are (as I am) elderly and disabled and struggling to read the serial number on the SIM card, which is in about 1 point of text, with a magnifying glass. 

All he said to me was "your phone is faulty, it is nothing to do with us". Then he asked for the SIM number, then he cut me off.

Second time I phoned the guy got really cross with me because he could not understand the letters I was reciting from my password. I was using an analogy "N... N for nothing". Sorry mam I cannot understand you. "N. N. N for nobody, N for Nairobi, N for Nigeria.  Sorry mam I cannot understand you. Then cuts me off.

Third time I asked to speak to a supervisor and was instantly cut off.

Fourth time  I asked to speak to a supervisor and was asked for my phone number. Soon as I gave it I was cut off.

Fifth time I spoke to someone polite and helpful, but all she said was, your phone is faulty, it is nothing to do with us.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Very sorry to hear of your experience, this is not what we would want or expect for you.

I will get this fedback to the advisors you spoke to. I will send you a private message and if you can reply with the information requested, I will be more than happy to help.

Regards

Lindsey_C  Forums Team

0 Kudos