Menu
Highlighted
BrianJB
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Internet cost in USA

I had a problem connecting to a service when I first arrived in USA but subsequently got this resolved. 

I just received my first bill since my arrival in USA and have been charged over £50 for Internet usage. Whilst I did check the news once or twice and also my emails, so accept those charges, the major expense seems to be for a 'push' service - a charge every hour when my phone was turned on- even during the night when I was asleep.

Has anyone else had this problem and can suggest a solution? at the moment, I have turned off my phone and will only use it when I need to check text messages. Not the purpose I had intended when in USA.

Thanks for any advice?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Internet cost in USA

Data usage in the US with a Virgin Mobile SIM is £5 per MB, so it's fairly easy to run up data costs quickly.

You can disable data roaming on your phone so it'll work for calls and texts only and would need WiFi for any data usage. What phone do you have?

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
BrianJB
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for you guidance. I have a Lumia 650. Brian

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So for that:

• Swipe left.
  • Scroll to and select Settings.
  • Select Network & wireless
  • Select Mobile & SIM.
  • Select Data roaming options

Make sure it's set to 'don't roam'

0 Kudos
BrianJB
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again. Yesterday, after viewing my bill I changed the mobile setting for roaming to OFF. I did the same on my mobile a few minutes again and couldn't get a service. I just went online and changed the roaming back to ON but I guess it will take a while for this to be activated as still no service. I will wait for 24 hours and try again - unless you suggest something else?

Thanks again for your guidance. Brian

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Roaming in your account and data roaming on your phone are two different things.

So you do need to have roaming enabled on your account, but data roaming disabled on your phone for it to work for texts and calls.

I'm not sure how long enabling roaming in your account takes, especially if you're already abroad.
0 Kudos
BrianJB
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Good morning, just turned on my mobile and still no service? In Settings the Mobile data if OFF and Data Roaming option is DONT ROAM. In SIM settings I tried to search for a network and found both TMobile and AT&T both both were shown as forbidden!

Strangely, even though my phone shows NO SERVICE I just got a text from Virgin reminding me of the cost of calls etc in USA? I thought texted were sent through the mobile network?

Anyway, any other ideas or must I just wait in the hope that SERVICE is resumed shortly?

i appreciate your help and apologise for any inconvenience.

0 Kudos
BrianJB
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi again,

Just turned on my mobile and it connected to T Mobile so the Virgin Network obviously caught-up.

i have checked my account at Virgin and Roaming is ON. On my Lumia the Roaming is OFF (don't roam) and  Mobile Data is also OFF. Do you believe that I will now avoid the horrendous charges for data on my Virgin account?

Thanks again for your help! Brian

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes. That should stop data charges while you're in the US.

0 Kudos