cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Ringtone

lee8796
Tuning in

Hi All,  I recently switched to Virgin Mobile and people calling me say that the ringtone on their side sounds like when you call a mobile of someone who is overseas!

Anyone else had this and know what causes it?

thanks

34 REPLIES 34

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi lee8796 & Pw998c. Sorry to hear about these odd issues you've both encountered.

I'd like to take a look from here and see what we can do to help. Please get back to me via PM (look out for the purple envelope) and we'll be able to investigate further.

Tom 

Contacts of mine have started to report this issue too - hearing an international dial tone when calling me. I know that ine uses O2 and the other EE. I also recreated the issue dialing myself from my work mobile (on BT). It doesn’t happen every time. I do not use wifi calling.

That sounds like the same issue as mine. It even happens when calling from fixed line so for me it’s as is calls are being routed to my number through international routes. I’ve been told I’m on the Voda network as Virgin are moving everyone to that, maybe that has something to do with it.

I spoke to Virgin faults team and raised a fault so hopefully they’ll find something. 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@lee8796 wrote:

That sounds like the same issue as mine. It even happens when calling from fixed line so for me it’s as is calls are being routed to my number through international routes. I’ve been told I’m on the Voda network as Virgin are moving everyone to that, maybe that has something to do with it.

I spoke to Virgin faults team and raised a fault so hopefully they’ll find something. 

More likely to do with the fact that Virgin SIM cards are Belgian. (But they won't tell you that.) One reason iPhones can end up displaying numbers in a Belgian format and very old Android phones display the roaming symbol.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Kmac2, thanks for getting in touch - sorry to hear you've encountered this issue as well. SO far I've not been able to fix it for those impacted, but one of the mods is liaising with the relevant teams who are investigating. 

I will get in touch via PM (look out for the purple envelope) to confirm some details which I can pass on to them, and hopefully get this sorted sooner.

Tom 

ffm_strife
On our wavelength

Facing the same issue myself… seriously I’ve been losing my mind over this, even changed all my address book adding +44 at the beginning of every number for nothing… 

I had to do the same to be able to call some people and so their pictures showed up when they messaged me. 

I have a case open with the faults team so if they update me I’ll let people know. I did raise a complaint but got a letter back saying to try my sim in another phone, if they bothered to look at the notes on my account they would see that has all been tried! Brill customer service right there!

Best thing the post shows as Solved.... come on

Hi ffm_strife,

Thanks for posting on our community forums. We do appreciate the frustration caused due to this on going issue. It looks like we are reporting these issues so I will pop you over a private message to take some details from you.

Please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi. 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have an iPhone do this.

Go to: Settings -> mobile data -> SIM Applications (near bottom) -> tap "Roaming"  -> tap "Select Mode"

Tap manual -> then choose National.

Make sure your numbers are set to the correct format. If not change region to anything other than UK (Settings -> General -> Language and Region -> Region) and then change back to UK region.

Cures many of these problems 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks