Menu
plexus
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Inbound phone calls broken

For the past few months inbound calls have been decidedly broken for me when at home. Sometimes the issue seems better if im away from home. Some people can call me just fine, other people get a message that my phone is unavailable. Signal is full bars. 

I have tried several different devices and the problem remains between them all

It seems the only way to make sure the problem goes away is to turn off 4g. So go into settings and tell the phone to only use 2g and 3g networks. If i do that, there is never any problem

Im well out of contract with virgin so im already looking elsewhere. would be nice if it could get fixed though 

0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Inbound phone calls broken

I'd be really intrigued to know if an EE PAYG (or other non-VoLTE) user in the same location as these reports, has problems.

Logically speaking they should...

0 Kudos
plexus
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

My girlfriend is on EE and she had similar, but on her iphone EE told her to turn off "enhanced voice" and that fixed it. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Interesting. Ok I'll bite... what model of phone & account does your GF have? I'll tell you why I'm asking...

Natively, 4G doesn't support voice calls, and as far as MVNOs like Virgin/PlusNet/etc are concerned, it still doesn't. Hence needing 3G & 2G for calls. EE pay-monthly accounts with a compatible device, support VoLTE (Voice over LTE/4G calling) and it's this that, among other things, enables access to additional 4G on 800Mhz because you don't need 2G/3G fallback for voice.

The last figures I saw, around 60% of EE's voice traffic is now over 4G.. that's OT for this thread but you get the idea. A quick Google for "iPhone Enhanced Voice" doesn't yield any sensible clues as to what this is actually doing, so (although I don't doubt your methods) I have doubts this is anything more than a fluke!!

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Am thinking maybe @plexus may have meant "turn off VoLTE and set 4g/LTE as data only (as in link below), rather then Enhanced Voice setting?.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203078

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
plexus
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

yep I would imagine thats what was done (she has a iphone 6s i think) Bear in mind im relaying what a technician was told, translated by my girlfriend, then relayed to me. so it could be anything, but my best guess is she did 4g to data only which deactivated VoLTE.

My phone swill switch (correctly) to 3g to make a call when 4g is enabled. it would stay in 4g the vast majority of received calls and then I get nothing (except a signal/whatsapp/FB message from someone saying "we cant get through"). If i set it to 3g only, it worked just fine

An interesting tool on some androids is the *#*#4636#*#* menu. As of this morning the "VoLTE provisioned" flag (set carrier side) has been reverted to off. It was "on" before. so maybe, just maybe, this got fixed.

Of a side note - no problem on my three pay monthly SIM at all. So ive just bought another one of those and when it arrives ill get my PAC from virgin and bid farewell to this MVNO. its been a weird few years. 

teabag
Superstar
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@plexus said: "An interesting tool on some androids is the *#*#4636#*#* menu. As of this morning the "VoLTE provisioned" flag (set carrier side) has been reverted to off. It was "on" before. so maybe, just maybe, this got fixed."

That is interesting on how VoLTE was set on when Virgin do not support it?. Imagine it would cause the exact problem you encountered.

plexus
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

yep thats what i suspected. Oddly, "wifi calling provisioned" is set to off today too. Ive called my number from three, virgin media landline, and received two international calls all fine today so far. strange this has been a major headache for months, one post here and its fixed next day. But VM didnt even respond. Very weird.
teabag
Superstar
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

This no calls while on 4g has been going on for a long time for some, with the info you have supplied, it looks like we may have cracked what is causing it (but not how it gets switched on).

So a thank you for coming along and sharing your info, I'm sure it is going to help some other people with the same problem from now on 👍

plexus
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

spoke too soon. its gone again. 

So i enabled roaming and went overseas. I came home and now the inbound call problem has returned. It happens seemingly in lots of places. 

the *#*#info#*#* menu shows "VoLTE provisioned" as "on" 

turning the phone to 3g only solves the problem. 

Im off to Smarty. better deals and none of this rubbish. get your act together virgin mobile. 

0 Kudos