cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Austria - UK subscriber cannot make or take calls.

jst_at_home
Joining in

I'm in Austria at the moment.  I cannot make or take calls.  In fact this is both my phone and my wife's (iPhone 6 and 7 respectively).  If I dial my wife's phone, I don't hear a ringing tone but she sees and answers a call from me but I can't hear her speaking.  This works the other way as well.  We can make calls with Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp.  

19 REPLIES 19

Thanks for coming back to us jst_at_home. 

We have just accessed our systems and refreshed the network settings for you. Please allow 24 hours for this to update and come back to us if the issue is persisting after this time.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Many thanks Jodi.  Will the network refresh cover both phones on my account?

Kind regards

John

Thanks for getting back to us jst_at_home, 

I would like to take a closer look on your behalf.  I am going to send you a private message, to confirm some details. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

I'm afraid I gave up on this.  We mostly could not have a conversation and we did not have time to spend on the Virgin help line.

We started our journey back to the UK on Thursday 7th July.  We had the same problem in Germany and no service whatsoever in Belgium.  Surprisingly the service returned after we had entered the Netherlands.    Although my car is fitted with Apple Carplay and we do use Google Maps for navigation I still use a Garmin SatNav and could certainly not rely 100% on the Virgin mobile data.  

On arriving back in the UK we had no service and it took a Mobile Data Network reset to recover the service.

One strange thing is that my wife and son both got service messages as our ferry reached Port telling them they were in the USA. 

The service from Virgin has been good until now but despite being long-standing Virgin customers, it has made us wonder whether to try a different service provider. 

Hey jst_at_home, thank you for reaching  back out and I am sorry to hear about the experience you have received with your phone signal lately.  

Was everything turn on via the app and your phone settings?

This sounds like it could of been happening due to the spending cap.

When you next go away please reach back out and we will make these settings are all correct before you set off. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi Matt

Many thanks and apologies for the delay in replying.

We have no spending cap on either phone.

I believe my phone settings were correct but I didn't do anything via the app.  I presume you mean the Virgin Media Connect app?  Should I have done something in the app

I will contact you before we go to Europe again (hopefully early 2023).

Kind regards

John

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jst_at_home,

No worries about the delay in replying. Thanks for confirming the Spend Cap situation.

When travelling abroad, you need to ensure that your Virgin Mobile SIM is setup for this. You can do this by:
1. Signing in to Your Account
2. Selecting the Plans and Devices tab
3. Selecting the Manage Services tab
4. Turn ON roaming under the Going Abroad section
5. Turn OFF International Call Barring under the Call Barring section

Before you next travel, please text 'All' to 789922 and you will receive a reply to save the appropriate settings for your device. We also advise to reboot your device when arriving into a different country to allow for a full network refresh.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hi Reece

I believe I'd done all that.

At the moment:

Going Abroad is on

International call barring is off

Roaming is on.

Kind regards

John

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jst_at_home/John,

Thanks for confirming that was already done. Unfortunately, as you've since returned home, there's no way for us to perform any other tests on our end.

Apologies that we weren't able to resolve this issue the first time around. However, if you want to check to make sure everything is good to go for travelling, or if you have similar issues during your next holiday, please let us know so we can run further checks on our end.

Thanks, 

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Will do...and thanks 😁

John