cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I phone changing countries

DaveWillis1
Tuning in

My I phone keeps thinking it’s in another country ie Belgium. I really am getting sick of this happening. I have followed the advice on switching off dial assist. Changing roaming settings to National etc

I raised the issue with apple. They say its not the phone it’s my network provider. I have just joined Virgin and contract is for 12 months. Apparently it’s a problem with Virgin sim cards. How can I stop this happening every couple of days. SO annoying

11 REPLIES 11

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi DaveWillis1,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear you are facing issues with your iPhone thinking it is in a different country, did this happen before you joined Virgin Media?

Regards

Paul.

No it did not

Thanks for coming back to us DaveWillis1,

I believe it is due to the code a country sends when you are roaming abroad and that it somehow it makes the phone think it is that country despite the region set correctly in settings. As you have already turned off dial assist. Please change the region to Belgium then change back to UK this may resolve the issue. 

Kind regards Jodi. 

I tried ringing my wife’s phone ( also on virgin) and got a message saying you have not enough credit to make this call

when I checked it had put 032 in front of her number and was classing it as an international call. Thank goodness I have my spend cap at zero otherwise I would have charged me even though we both have unlimited minutes and calls to virgin mobiles ate supposed to be free

This needs sorting by Virgin. It’s their sim causing the problem

I can correct it by changing tegion to another country then back but within a day it does it again

We appreciate you trying changing the region DaveWillis1. We are sorry that when calling your wife, it assumed you were making an international call. We can certainly understand your concerns about this due to the charges that could have appeared on your bill if you had not had your spend cap in place. We do have a work around which may help. Please could you try the below.

Select Settings from the Home Screen
Select Mobile Data
Select SIM Applications
Select Roaming
Select Select Mode
Select Manual
Select National

Please let us know if this has worked. 

Kind regards Jodi. 

Ok. I set roaming setting to National but when I travel abroad thats not going to work is it?

Now my text messages are showing numbers not names. Why can’t Virgin use a sim card that works in uk and ok for roaming

I had none of this with EE or ID mobile

Hi DaveWillis1,

We are sorry to hear you are still facing issues with your Phone and how the numbers are showing, have you tried the sim in another handset to see if the same still happens?

Regards

Paul.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DaveWillis1 wrote:

Ok. I set roaming setting to National but when I travel abroad thats not going to work is it?

Now my text messages are showing numbers not names. Why can’t Virgin use a sim card that works in uk and ok for roaming

I had none of this with EE or ID mobile

Just select international when abroad and change it back on return.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks