cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't send texts from abroad but receive them ok

fhilly
Tuning in

I can receive texts but cannot send texts, each time I try sending I get a notification "Couldn't send message”.  I am currently abroad in the UAE and also have a dual sim phone with a local sim.  I have tried all the self help I can find, checked I have not reached my spending cap, roaming on, hard phone reset, clearing cache etc. I can see similar posts but they do not state the fix.

17 REPLIES 17

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @fhilly,

A warm welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear you're having some issues sending texts. 

Can you confirm if you've added the international dialling code when trying to send the text?

We have some info here on using your Virgin Mobile abroad and more info on charges for countries here

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Yes, I am trying to reply to a message so it automatically included the international dialing code. I have also tried sending myself a message.

Could you confirm if you are able to make calls okay? 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Hi, I've just tested it and I cannot make calls either.

Are you using an Android device or iPhone? 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Android

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What's your spend cap like? If that's been used up you will not be able to call or text.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I've checked my spending cap also and that is ok.

@fhilly

Thanks for confirming! As you’re using an Android phone, please can you do the following: Selects Apps from your home screen > Virgin SIM toolkit > Roaming > Mode > Manual > International. Once this has been done you might need to reboot. 

Let us know if this works for you. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team