cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am in Greece and since yesterday there is no network connection, emergency calls only.

Pebbles7
Tuning in

I have tried turning the phone off and on again; airplane mode on, phone off, phone on, airplane mode off (was suggested by somebody). Tried numerous times to set network (Cosmote) manually.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Just a quick update for everyone. We're still investigating the issue and we appreciate your patience and all the information we've gathered. It's helping us to find a solution to the problem.

We'll be back when we have more information.

Many thanks,
ModTeam

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

126 REPLIES 126

davidakos
On our wavelength

I have been in Greece for 10 weeks and the network connection has gradually become worse. Up until two days ago I could manage to reconnect manually. Since then nothing. 

I have tried a different handset with similar results. Carried out a hard reset of the phone ( Moto  g4), removed and replaced the sim and switched roaming on and off in my account. Occasionally, I get a connection that drops after about 30 seconds and if I try to make a call during this period I'm told "mobile phone calls cannot be made from this network". I really need to have a working phone.

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello
You can try the following if you have the newer (last 2 years) purple sim card, you can try the sim tool to get it working,

How to access the sim toolkit.

For Android:
Select Apps from the Home Screen
Select Virgin SIM Toolkit Icon
Select Roaming
Select Select Mode
Select Manual
Select International-you are done, go back to Home Screen

To Switch back when in the UK:
Select Apps from Home screen
Select Virgin SIM Toolkit Icon
Select Roaming
Select Select Mode
Select Automatic and go back to Home Screen

For iOS:
Select Settings from the Home Screen
Select Phone Icon
Select SIM Applications
On newer iOS 14 - Settings -> mobile data -> SIM Applications
Select Roaming
Select Select mode
Select Manual
Select International and you are done, go back Home screen to retry

To change back when returning to the UK:
Select Settings from the Home Screen
Select Phone Icon
Select SIM Applications
On newer iOS 14 - Settings -> mobile data -> SIM Applications
Select Roaming
Select Select mode
Select Automatic mode - you are done, go back to Home screen

**It is important that you set the SIM roaming applet back to Automatic mode once in the UK or you will not be able to access service when you return.**

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Same thing. Have been travelling frequently in Greece and the service only lasts for 2-3 minutes a day, if that. Sometimes it takes days to connect.

I have a purple sim card which I have read might be a faulty batch, which gradually becomes worse.

I am in the city centre of Athens, great network coverage (no remote area) and all other sims work fine and I have tried numerous devices. So the issue is definitely with the Virgin sim card.

I am unable to access my bank accounts due to the confirmation sms needed on the Virgin Sim.

I am now searching to switch to another UK provider if Virgin is unable to offer a solution asap as I am unable to access my money.

I have also tried this (through the sim toolkit) yesterday as I contacted virgin media through the website and still it is unable to connect.

Does anyone know if Virgin is able to send replacement sim cards in Greece ? As customer service told me they are unable to.

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

I am afraid that VM cannot send SIMs outside of the country even if they could they will not work as they need to be activated on the UK network, the only way around that is too get SIM sent to family or friend and for them to place the SIM in an unlocked phone to activate it and then post onward to yourself.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for the reply DJ Shadow. I now noticed that DJ Shadow does not work for Virgin.

Does anyone know if Virgin employees reply to these issues ? Or do I have to do a proper complaint ?

As I am worried that the new sim might  be the same purple faulties that I've been reading that people are having issues even when the UK ?

As this defeats the purpose of a new sim, if it is going to be the same batch.

Can anyone from Virgin offer any other solution ?

I had to buy new local sims for Internet , communication, but I am still unable to access services that require OTPs, which need the Virgin number.

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Yes the staff do look at the post but you will have to wait and can take several days as staff deal with posts oldest first.

Regards Mike

Pebbles7
Tuning in

Hi everyone, 2 days ago I spent nearly an hour on the phone with a Virgin employee and got nowhere. The only solution seemed to be to request a replacement SIM card. This morning I looked at the phone and guess what.......it was connected to the Greek provider. Of course I do not know how or why it came back on or indeed why it stopped in the first place.

Thank you all for your advice and the time you took to find a solution.

Kind regards.

Thanks for the update. Could you please share your location in Greece (roughly) ?

Mainland/islands ?

Kind  regards