Menu
Lindajane59
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Huge in Data usage

Hi

I've been checking the forum on this and can see that at least one other user had almost an identical issue.

I have been with Virgin mobile for some years, I use very little data as I don't often access the internet on it, I don't use many apps and my bills are usually anything from £1.50 to very occasionally £5 or £6.  Normally my data rolls over as I'm not using it.  My mobile data, is and always has been turned on as I don't have wifi access at my office and don't receive emails, can't check bus tracker etc. if its turned off when I'm not at home. This has never been a problem and as I've said I hardly use any data.

On 29 November I recieved a text telling me I'd used 75% of my data, I was pretty confused as I was at work, and hadn't used my phone for anything that day.  An hour later I got another text to say I'd now used 95% and 20 minutes after that another one to say my data had all been used.  I hadn't done anything between receiving the first and last of these texts.   The other post I saw seems to have received exactly the same texts again during a very short period of time in one day.

I contacted Virgin who advising turning off my mobile data despite me telling them it was always turned on and hadn;t ever been an issue.  However, I turned it off, uninstalled some apps and the adviser from Virgin said they would give me a GB of data free.

I didn't use the internet on my phone for the rest of my monthly period, didn't add any apps, kept the mobile data off unless I was checking my bus app and then turned it off again.  

However, when I received my bill it was £41!!!  Now £10 of that was a charity donation and £2 for a competition entry but that still leaves £29 as opposed to the usual few pounds.  Given that I hadn't used it, the mobile data was off and I should have had another GB not sure how I could have run up a bill this size.

I went into the Virgin shop to query this but they were no help.  I have my mobile data turned off but its really inconvenient and I don't understand why this is a problem all of a sudden when it hasn't been for years.

Given the other post, and round about the same time period, it does seem that there has been some issue.  I'm not happy at having to pay such an increase in my bill and concerned I'm going to have the same problem again.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Huge in Data usage

check your phone data settings to see what is using the data

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Huge in Data usage

I would suggest with the range of tariffs they have - maybe yours is not the best for you? You could pay a few £'s more a month and get enough data so you didn't have to worry again 

Just saying. 

0 Kudos
Lindajane59
Joining in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Huge increase in Data usage

Thanks for the  suggestion but I don't need any more data,  I don't use Facebook, Twitter or anything like that, I don't even have the apps and I've never needed lots of data.  Until last month my biggest bill had been around £6.   My point is,that all of my data,was used in 2 hrs, I barely use any every month for years then in one day it's gone despite the fact I hadn't touched ny phone that day.  That seems highly unlikely.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

smart phones to updates. apps update. as i said check what your phone tells you the data was used for

0 Kudos
Lindajane59
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I tried that and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. That's why I went to the virgin shop but they couldn't help either.  I've also not added any apps and the ones I had had been there for months with no data issues.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello Lindajane59

Sorry to hear of the data issues and confusion caused but welcome to the forum and thank you for raising this. Have you been able to view the bill online to see when the additional data was used?

Rob

0 Kudos
Lindajane59
Joining in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I had a look at my bill and it looks like pretty much all of my  data was used up in around 2hrs on 29/11 with internet usage.  I was working that day and don't use my phone much at work, occasionally the odd text.  I definitely don't use it to access the internet, if I needed to do that I'd  just use my pc.

I've looked back at previous bills and I've never had usage like this.  My bills are and always have, like my usage, been minimal.  

I understand that apps can use data but until now I've always had my mobile data turned on and I've never had any issues.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Do you know if there were any software updates downloaded and applied on that day?

Rob

0 Kudos
Lindajane59
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I don't know to be honest, it's not something I would have thought of checking and the person from virgin only suggested turning off the mobile data.  But I guess the same applies, there are updates regularly but none have ever caused this issue.  

0 Kudos