cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use your Oomph SIM with an existing Virgin Mobile number

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

We know some of you have recently taken out an Oomph deal and still need help to set up the SIM. Whilst we can't resolve all SIM issues via the community, this thread is intended to give some background to the issues we can solve. We can only discuss these matters with the account holder, and we will ask you for details of the account to clear security checks.

Using an existing Virgin Mobile number with your new Oomph SIM:

• If you're out of contract or on a 30-day rolling contract with the existing SIM - we can process the change immediately so your Oomph package uses the existing number you want to keep.
  • If you're still in contract on a classic, freestyle of 12-month SIM only contract, you'll need to pay the outstanding amount to be able to upgrade. We can't help in this scenario, you'll need to speak with us on 789 or 0345 600 0789 to discuss paying the outstanding amount

Providing you meet the criteria above, we need to complete a credit check to make this change. This is an internal check which won't affect your credit file. We won't need to ask for any further details over as this is based on the info you gave when you signed up for the Oomph package.

If we're unable to process the package change immediately then it will take effect from your next refresh date.

If you have an existing number and a new number with your Oomph SIM, and would like to cancel the existing number, this can be done by speaking with us on 789 or 0345 600 0789.

If you would like us to transfer your existing Virgin Mobile number to your Oomph SIM, please post below and a member of the team will be in touch to help with that.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

604 REPLIES 604

Calls cannot be made or texts as there is no signal 

I live in inner city leeds  / it all worked fine before march 2022

i agreed to move over to virgin/O2 in June 2022 as that was the suggestion from your colleagues and so I’m now “tied” into a new contract that isn’t working 

The new new sim was delivered about 2 weeks ago and it had made not difference 

the “service” I’m being delivered is switching between nothing/virgin/vodaphone 

not O2

the settings on my iPhone are all referencing virgin eg 

mobile data network = goto.virginmobile.uk

etc

Thanks for explaining all of that for me Gainsgang.

I am so sorry that you've been struggling with all of that, I'll be more than happy to take a look into this for you. 

I'll send you a PM now so we can get started. 

Speak soon!

Megan_L

Hi Gainsgang, 

Thanks for coming back to me within our PM, I was able to locate your account and check the coverage in your area along with other checks on your account.

However, I could not see any outstanding issues with your mobile service - the coverage in the areas you stated were good for indoors and outdoor service. 

Your SIMs are connected to the network on our side as well which is good. 

So lets go through some other diagnostic checks to move forward with this. 

Could you answer these questions please - 

• Do the coverage issues occur indoors, outdoors or both?
  • Do they occur only in certain areas or everywhere you go?
  • Have you done a reboot of your handset?
  • If a reboot didn't resolve it, can you please try popping the SIM into another phone to see if this resolves things? If it does work, then we know it's an issue with the handset, not the SIM or network. 

Thanks,

Megan_L

I would say the vast majority of places in and around my neighbourhood/city the phone cannot get a phone signal or any internet access when Wi-Fi is off.

I have had the sim in another phone and same outcome.

This has been ongoing since March 2022 when you sent me a new sim 

I then was advised to change my service from virgin to virgin/O2

this did not resolve the issue

as I said the settings still refer to virgin - shouldn’t they refer to O2 now?

Hi Gainsgang,

Thanks for coming back to me about this, I am sorry your signal is so sporadic in your local area. 

As for your SIM network it should still say Virgin Media, I did see that your SIM is under O2 on our side though which is correct. 

It seems like we've run into a bit of a dead end here as I've done all my usual diagnostics with no resolution for you. There are no issues on our side and so I cannot offer any further help I'm afraid 😞 

However, I do appreciate that this must be frustrating for you and so I'm going to offer to create a formal complaint for you within a PM.

Speak to you soon. 

Megan_L