cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to activate replacement SIM in data only device

zcobb
Tuning in

For some reason Virgin sent me a replacement SIM and told me I have to activate it in 14 days. But this SIM is in a 4G router and the Virgin instructions are only for phones.

I have searched the website but can find no instructions.

And help much appreciated.

Stephen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Use depends on your router.

A small MiFi device which is portable has always been allowed. The permanently wired larger router are the ones that cause problems.

With the smaller devices I activate in a phone first and then insert it into the unit

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @zcobb

Welcome to the community. Sorry to hear that you're not able to complete activating your SIM replacement. 

The SIM would be for a mobile phone or mobile broadband device and would not be able to be used for a 4G router unfortunately. You can find this information in our Acceptable Use Policy. Here is states under 3.7 Your mobile SIM card is for use in a personal mobile or mobile broadband device, such as a dongle or mobile Wi-Fi device. It is not intended for use in any other type of device, including 4G routers. We reserve the right to suspend your services if we believe abuse is taking place and if you are using an unlimited tariff, we may ask you to move to a plan with a fixed data allowance.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Thanks for that quick reply. Can I use the SIM in a phone that is sometimes used as a hotspot?

Stephen 

Yes absolutely, you can use the SIM in a phone that is sometimes used to hotspot. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Use depends on your router.

A small MiFi device which is portable has always been allowed. The permanently wired larger router are the ones that cause problems.

With the smaller devices I activate in a phone first and then insert it into the unit

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Interesting. Thanks.

BTW, what problems do those larger routers cause? Just curious.

Stephen

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's to do with network capacity. People with permanent routers tend to have them connected for longer. Cell towers can only handle a certain number of connections at once and have a limited bandwidth. 

Thanks. Very helpful.

Stephen