Menu
Highlighted
littlewren
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

How do I unlock Virgin Mobile phone to put EE sim card in?

My 4 year old phone on EE came to the end of its life a couple of days ago.  My daughter, who is with Virgin Mobile, gave me her old VM phone (3 years old). I put my EE sim card in and it's working fine when I use wifi but I can't get any mobile data.

So I need to unlock her old Virgin Mobile phone, but I can't find out how to do it.  I'm subjected to so many options when I try to ring Virgin Mobile and nobody seems able to help.

I believe the phone can be unlocked for free as it's over 2 years old and of course out of contract as my daughter now has a new phone with Virgin Mobile.

Can anyone help please?  Many thanks  Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
Demogorgon
Up to speed
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I unlock Virgin Mobile phone to put EE sim card in?

@littlewren, how do you know if the phone is locked? Did it ask you for a code? Have you tried making a call or using SMS? Virgin Mobile don't lock phones, not for the past 5 or 6 years anyway.
Did you factory reset the phone before putting your SIM in the phone?
0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

For a 3 year old Virgin phone - if it's locked, it will be to the EE network anyway.

Has it joined Virgin network ok with calls and texts working?.

If it's just data not working, try sending a text "ALL" to 789922 to see if the APN settings download to the phone.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only x2. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
whyowhyowhy
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@Demogorgon wrote:
@littlewren, how do you know if the phone is locked? Did it ask you for a code? Have you tried making a call or using SMS? Virgin Mobile don't lock phones, not for the past 5 or 6 years anyway.
Did you factory reset the phone before putting your SIM in the phone?

Did you actually read what the OP said - she said it worked on wifi but not otherwise.   

0 Kudos
Demogorgon
Up to speed
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@whyowhyowhy
Did YOU actually read my question?? I'm not asking about the data/WIFI. I'm asking if the calls and SMS worked. Because based on the information provided, it's quite possible the OP put in the SIM and only attempted to get on the internet using mobile data then used WIFI, whereby leaving open the possibility the SIM and phone is working fine and probably the mobile data on the phone isn't switched on or APN doesn't work. Hence me asking my line of questions?
0 Kudos
littlewren
Tuning in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Demogorgan, thank you for your reply.  No code was asked for.  I am able to make calls and send texts and access the internet using wifi only.  I put the EE sim card in on Thursday when I was at home and using wife.  When I went out yesterday, with no access to wifi, I only found out then that I couldn't access my mobile data.  Switching it on made not difference.  I thought maybe there was no signal but people around me had no problems. I popped into Tesco to ask their mobile phone department what they thought and they said it was locked to Virgin Mobile and needed unlocking.  I did try getting through to them yesterday but it was an hour wait (!) so I gave up and thought I'd ask for advice on here.

Oh and yes, the phone had a factory reset when my daughter changed her phone.  As my previous phone was playing up she said I could have her Samsung S6 Edge, so I did a factory reset.  At that time, my current phone then started behaving itself again, so I put the S6 away in the drawer for future use.  Then my current phone died on me completely a few days ago.

(Hope all that makes sense, it was a bit long winded lol)

0 Kudos
littlewren
Tuning in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi teabag,

Thank you for your reply.  (I don't know how to quote posters messages on here!)

I don't know what you mean by 'Has it joined Virgin network ok with calls and texts working?'

I did text ALL to 789922 but got nothing back.

0 Kudos
littlewren
Tuning in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Demogorgan, when I put the sim card in I can't remember if I tried to connect via mobile data first of all or not, I'm presuming not, but of course I would have made sure mobile data was switched on.
I'm stumped as I don't want to have to pay to have the phone unlocked if there's no need.

When I mentioned to the guy in Tesco yesterday, I said I thought EE & Virgin Mobile were linked (I didn't know in which way) and he said that if wifi was working but mobile data wasn't working, then the phone was locked to VM. Yet the other poster on here said VM haven't locked their phones for the past 5 or 6 years, so I'm confused.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

its not that long since VM sold unlocked phones - they should unlock it if it was a contract phone - 789 and see what they say - there is a web page somewhere or was that you can fill details in and they should get back to you 

if all else fails i think EE will unlock it but they charge £8.99 or there abouts

Tony
0 Kudos
littlewren
Tuning in
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I was just searching through settings to see what I could find and came across this, so I don't know if this would help you kind people sort out my data problem?

When I go to Settings>Connections>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names,     Virgin Media Mobile Internet is showing with a blue dot in the circle next to it.  If I then click on that, it shows several things as being Virgin Media Mobile still, i.e. Name, APN where it says goto.virginmobile.uk and also MMSC is showing Virgin Mobile's address.

Does this mean that it is definitely locked to Virgin Mobile? 

0 Kudos