cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspots

brysie1
Joining in

I recently joined VM and customer services mentioned hot spots are being discontinued in April, including the London Underground.

TfL's website says, "

Wi-Fi at Tube stations

"We expect all operators to offer service on live sections by spring 2023"

"

"

We've partnered with Virgin Media to bring Wi-Fi to more than 97% of the London Underground network as well as Victoria Coach Station.

You can use the Wi-Fi service to go online anywhere in those Tube stations - in ticket halls and walkways, and on platforms.

If you're a Virgin Media, EE, O2 or Three customer you can use the Wi-Fi service for free as part of your plan."

Did I misunderstand what I was told, does anyone know please? Or have TfL changed their plans?

2 REPLIES 2

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @brysie1,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

The use of our Wi-Fi Hotspots has been declining in recent years. Maintaining a network of over 4 million hotspots is a significant expense, and with traffic on the decline, as well as increased usage over 4G or 5G mobile services, we want to continue investing in and providing the services our customers use and value the most.

Virgin Media customers with a mobile device will still be able to access Wi-Fi on the London Underground. From April 1st 2023, they will need to sign up and register for the new BAI/TFL service.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@brysie1 wrote:

I recently joined VM and customer services mentioned hot spots are being discontinued in April, including the London Underground.

TfL's website says, "

Wi-Fi at Tube stations

"

"

We've partnered with Virgin Media to bring Wi-Fi to more than 97% of the London Underground network as well as Victoria Coach Station.

You can use the 

This is 4G which is replacing WiFi across the whole tube network.

Eventually WiFi will be phased out. Not sure what Virgin Mobile is doing as they too are being phased out this year and customers moved to O2

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks