cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I got a 5G Service?

OldestFogey
Tuning in

How can I tell if I've got a 5G service?  (the helpline seems busy).  I've been around the UK with a 5G phone that shows '5G' when used with a '3' SIM and is set to '5G preferred' network on the Virgin SIM, but 5G just never shows up.

If I log in and go to 'change my package', my existing package is listed under 'our super speedy 5G plans', but suspiciously there is another plan listed with identical minutes, viz:

- 1500mins + 1GB £8.57 a month
- 1500mins + 1GB £7.10 a month

(Incidentally, neither of which seems like a good deal compared to 4Gb 5G data and unlimited calls for £7 a month which is offered if I don't log in.  Is that the loyalty premium attached to a customer of 20 years standing?). 

Can an answer be provided within a 48-hour window please?

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That helps a lot 

Virgin have piggy backed off EE since inception, however that agreement comes to an end this year and the process to migrate people across to Vodafone is slowly proceeding.

The complication is that Virgin's access to 5G is only through Vodafone so if you are still EE at this stage then you are out of luck.

Lot's of people asking and the answer from Virgin so far is either take out another contract which is automatically Vodafone or wait until you are moved over at some indeterminate date.

So, in a nutshell, you do not have 5G

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It will depend if your phone is running off EE or has been migrated to Vodafone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Its running off EE (MCC-MNC 234-30 at the moment), using one of those Virgin SIMs that was swapped a year or so ago from one that would operate with EE SIM locked phones to one that wouldn't (but is still MVNO on EE).

Does that help get an answer - there is no information I can see on the virginmobile web that says anything about EE vs Vodafone? 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That helps a lot 

Virgin have piggy backed off EE since inception, however that agreement comes to an end this year and the process to migrate people across to Vodafone is slowly proceeding.

The complication is that Virgin's access to 5G is only through Vodafone so if you are still EE at this stage then you are out of luck.

Lot's of people asking and the answer from Virgin so far is either take out another contract which is automatically Vodafone or wait until you are moved over at some indeterminate date.

So, in a nutshell, you do not have 5G

Thanks, that's clear, thank you.  Shame they couldn't put that basic information on the website rather than make me search, call, follow links in follow up texts etc.