cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD calls

whiskerp
Joining in

Hi, just got my 5G ready SIM set up and VoLTE and VoWiFi are both working fine.

However... the call quality is no better than my vintage 1937 bakelite GPO phone! HD calling does not seem to work (at least not off network).

All the other networks seem to interchange calls using HD codecs. Is this really not working in this day and age? I am just moving from EE who have had HD calls to other networks for years.

7 REPLIES 7

whiskerp
Joining in

To clarify (as I've done some tests) :

EE <-> O2 : codec is AMR-WB (16k) wideband HD (introduced in 2011)
EE <-> Vodafone : codec is AMR-WB (16k) wideband HD (introduced in 2011)

EE <-> Virgin : codec is AMR-NB (8k) narrowband (quality of POTS introduced in 1876)
O2 <-> Virgin : codec is AMR-NB (8k) narrowband (quality of POTS introduced in 1876)

Please Virgin Media, can you sort this out?????

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin is on Vodafone so you should be OK

I have no problem with HD calls on Vodafone, O2, EE and 3. Yes, I have SIM cards for all of those.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Have you actually tested between Virgin and EE and Virgin and O2? I think Virgin may have its own IMS and only uses Vodafone as a RAN according to another poster. I was surprised that t didn't work but that is what the *#0011# call status display on my phones told me.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've only phoned Virgin phones as I do not possess a Virgin SIM

I must say I've only ever seen the very odd post regarding call quality and I'm here every day.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I think it most likely works if you stay on the Virgin core but why don't they have proper AMR-WB IMS interconnects from their core like everyone else????

whiskerp
Joining in

Are you sure HD calls work? I've tested my Virgin SIM, calling phones on EE, O2 and other networks and its never been HD. I've tried the SIM in three different phones all of which support HD calls and made sure its using VoLTE but its never been HD. (It's used AMR-NB (8k) each time). All the main networks support cross-network AMR-WB (16k) but I've never had it work to or from my Virgin 5g-ready SIM.

Hi whiskerp,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you're having an issue with HD calls, so I can pass your details onto our support team I'll need a bit more information from you.

I've popped you over a private message for this (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm