Menu
japitts
Super solver
Message 11 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Going on a cruise

I'll take issue with the comment that receiving a text can incur a charge - as I don't think this has ever been documented as being possible. The logic always went that with calls you had the option of not accepting/making/answering a chargeable activity. With incoming texts you have an open door of abuse if they were chargeable... back in the early days of mobile I seem to recall some dodgy middle-eastern networks apparently tried it on, but anyway... off-topic.

It really wouldn't surprise me if lack of maritime roaming was a Virgin "thing" to be fair, it would sit neatly alongside a few other features.. I've found https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030... which has a noticeable lack of references to ship, maritime, cruise etc etc.

But bromham is absolutely right about smart-phone settings, apps etc... it is far too easy to make a mistake or miss something.... And it also doesn't surprise me that cruise lines effectively hold you hostage as far as internet access is concerned, it's not as if you've got any other option while you're at sea....

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Super solver
Message 12 of 14
Flag for a moderator

yep, wouldn't surprise me at all if vm didn't have roaming agreements with maritime networks. would sit neatly next to the 14 countries that you can't roam with the new purple sim. 

in a way that would be a blessing in disguise if it didn't register to maritime networks. 

From reading online phones will normally auto connect to maritime if roaming is on and auto connect to networks is too. 

0 Kudos
enlli
Trouble shooter
Message 13 of 14
Flag for a moderator

There have been a couple of posts one here from people who can't roam on to maritime networks and the two biggest don't show roaming on Virgin on their websites. They seem be confined to the main networks and not MNVO's or whatever Virgin claim to be now.

0 Kudos
suechapman
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 14
Flag for a moderator

We are still using old red sun cards

0 Kudos