Going on a cruise will my UK allowance be ok to use while away

countries visiting are Denmark Finland Russia Germany

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Going on a cruise

Enjoy your cruise   Smiley Surprised  ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31cZdeVnV-0

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
bromham
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You can use your UK allowance in Denmark, Finland and Germany but not in Russia. Be careful when in Finland and near the Russian border because your phone may roam on to a Russian provider even when you're in Finland.

Be aware that many cruise ships have their own 3G base station that's switched on when out of sight of land.  This uses satellite communications and is EXTREMELY expensive, especially for data.  To avoid your phone using background data via satellite, it's strongly advised to switch on aeroplane or flight mode while on the ship.  If you want to be able to receive calls and texts via the ship's 3G base station, you can just switch off mobile data instead of switching on flight mode but be aware that any incoming calls and texts will be chargeable and expensive.  To avoid any risk of an unexpected bill, switch off the phone when onboard.

Enjoy the cruise.

happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It's 2019 - don't ships have wifi? 

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@happywithmy350 wrote:

It's 2019 - don't ships have wifi? 

Well fair enough question, and I've no idea. But it would only help with data use to be fair, not only do VM not do WiFi calling but even those networks that do, clamp down heavily on use of foreign WiFi networks being used to dodge roaming charges...

O2 had "TuGo" for quite a few years, and one of the more common online complaints when it closed seemed to be around non-UK roaming charge workarounds.....

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I had a quick look re: WiFi. Of course the cruise companies are floating hotels and gladly provide WiFi at a cost (and will generally be slow). Expect £10-15 for an hour of use or £50 for a week.

Best to check the individual companies for this info, some have free use, but only for an hour. 

ee do have a call/sms/data charges table to give some sort of an idea of charges (but vm don't do add ons). 

https://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming-costs/countries/mariti...

Maybe vm could put the call/sms/data charges on their roaming country guide (ID mobile do). 

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/international-and-roaming-charges

Click roaming and select ships, ferries, cruise liners

In both of these links a theme appears. Data isn't cheap on a cruise (1mb isn't much these days and a smart phone would use that much in a second if it could. 

Best bet is not to connect to any "maritime" network and if in Europe and close to land connect to that countries networks. But also careful if near to non eu countries (as mentioned before).

One trick is always manually connect to networks when roaming (rather than auto connect). Often networks will indicate which country they are in (not always though). 

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@bromham wrote:

Be aware that many cruise ships have their own 3G base station that's switched on when out of sight of land.  This uses satellite communications and is EXTREMELY expensive, especially for data.  To avoid your phone using background data via satellite, it's strongly advised to switch on aeroplane or flight mode while on the ship.  If you want to be able to receive calls and texts via the ship's 3G base station, you can just switch off mobile data instead of switching on flight mode but be aware that any incoming calls and texts will be chargeable and expensive.  To avoid any risk of an unexpected bill, switch off the phone when onboard.

Enjoy the cruise.

As far as I know Virgin Mobile UK SIMs won't connect to the on-board mobile services on Cruise Ships.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
bromham
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I went on a 12-night P&O cruise recently.  The ship had WiFi, which was satellite-based of course, with correspondingly poor latency and limited bandwidth, and that cost £120 for the duration of the cruise, provided it was booked in advance.  Paying on-board cost more.  Even then, it was restricted to social media, web-browsing and email; all high-bandwidth uses such as streaming and VPNs were blocked.

However you manage it, cruise ship mobile phone use is expensive.  There's now an EU regulation enforcing a 50 Euro (exc VAT) cut-off limit on mobile data, unless the customer has changed the limit, so this provides some reassurance against bill shock.  Before that came into force, stories of cruise passengers returning to bills of many thousands of pounds weren't unusual.

If anyone's not confident that they've configured their phone correctly or not absolutely sure that it won't roam on to a maritime network, it's safest to switch it off.

suechapman
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Will I get charged if I have phone switched on but data turned off on the phone 

0 Kudos
bromham
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If you have the phone switched on but data switched off, you can be charged only if your phone roams on to a maritime network (the ship's 3G base station) and someone calls you or sends you a text or if you make a call or send a text.  Or if you're in or near Russia or some other non-EU country.

Someone earlier said that Virgin phones don't roam on to maritime networks.  If that's true (anyone have a reference?), then there should be no way you can be charged if you switch mobile data off.  Unless you're in or near Russia...

(But it's so easy to make a mistake with the phone settings that I repeat the suggestion that the only completely safe way of avoiding charges is to switch it off.)

0 Kudos