Menu
LindfeildBrown
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Getting charged for extra data allowance

I called the helpline last evening to ask why an extra £21 had been taken from my account.

The very unhelpful phone operator told me I had been charged £3 per day for going over my data allowance. When I queried this she just kept reciting my bill to me and that I should have got a text warning me.

I DID NOT receive any text or email and this is the first carrier I have ever known to just let you rollover into extra data and take the money from your account without telling you. When I asked to speak to a supervisor or manager I was put on hold and they never came back.

I am extremely unhappy with the service so far provided by Virgin and want to know if it's possible to place a cap on the data useage so this doesn't happen again. Again the phone operative was unable to help.

I have also tried to 'Live Chat' but the service always seems unavailable, why is this? Do Virgin not want unhappy customers contacting them. I would like this issue resolved asap.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting charged for extra data allowance

Hi LindfeildBrown,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you are not receiving notification SMS's for your data usage and for the delay in responding to your post. You can request to have the notifications set up to be sent as an SMS to your mobile.
You can either choose to have percentage or amount alerts, and these can be set from 0 up to 100% or the maximum spending limit you have set on their account. 
The SMS will be set once you reach the chosen limit & includes all balances on the account, including billed & unbilled.

If you aren't receiving these texts, there are other ways to track your usage:

• Use the Virgin Mobile Your Account app to keep track of your data usage balance (Install from your app store)
  • Login to Your Account online to view Recent Usage
  • Settings > Data traffic management > Traffic reminder settings > Monthly data limit > manually enter your package's limit
  • Settings > Data traffic management > Traffic reminder settings > When over monthly limit > select 'Disable mobile data'
  • Set up each of your apps, app store and OS to only update when connected through WiFi
  • Download a third party app that will track your data usage

The charge for breaching the monthly data allowance is £3.00 a day. This is within a 24 hour period, so if the data allowance has been used up, and an app on the mobile connects via the data connection, the charge will be £3 for that 24 hour period, no matter what amount of data is used. We advise about the charges for going over the tariff allowance here: Pay Monthly Charges. Also, please see our online Help & Support page: Managing Your Account for Virgin Mobile.

We don't offer Web Chat for the Mobile service, apologies for the inconvenience this causes. If you have any further problems, please let us know here on the Community.

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

0 Kudos
cybersid
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

What you don't mention and what i have just been told by customer service is that if you set a credit limit which is reached ALL outgoing services are disabled including calls and texts. Virgin could easily fix this with a data cap policy which i believe has now been made law?

I have just been hit with £66 extra charges combined on my my two childrens first mobile bills having just joined Virgin. No mention of there not being a data cap when sold the sims and no warning texts to either number about limits being approached. 

Well done Virgin, one month into my new contract with you for mobile, tv and broadband and i'm already planning to go back to sky asap.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cybersid, 

We do have a credit limit cap on accounts. You may be referring to the EU data cap. If there are any new data cap laws then we'd enforce them asap but as of yet there's nothing. ^Martin

0 Kudos