Menu
TGregory
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Getting Marketing calls even when marketing preferences are set to Off

As the title states; I semi-frequently (too frequently) get a text from VirginMedia saying about "Am I on the right package; we'll give you a call soon to chat" or some rubbish.

I DO NOT want these calls. I am happy on the package I am already on, and if I wish to change I will get in touch with you. Is this not in breach of GDPR, because as far as I'm aware I've got marketing preferences set to off, and therefore you should not be ringing me without consent. If you have got my permission to call me, where the hell is the check box to turn this rubbish off?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting Marketing calls even when marketing preferences are set to Off

Been a few posts about this recently. Seems that the offshore sales team could not care less. 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there TGregory, 

Thanks so much for your post - I am sorry that you don't wish to receive these text messages. 

Are you able to post the entire message you are getting along with the number they are coming from and we'll get this checked for you. 

Thanks

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
TGregory
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I'm not sure what the message is sorry as I've deleted it, but the number I get the calls from is 08001836403. Despite me using an app to block unknown numbers, they still repeatedly try to call. In March I had 7 attempted calls from them, despite my marketing preferences being off, and being off since a long time ago.

I'm also aware of someone within my family having a similar experience, receiving a text about "We will call you soon" and then getting multiple calls until we pick up.

Considering I have my marketing set to off, I should not be receiving marketing calls. It goes against GDPR being unable to opt out of being called or texted.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Katie_WT wrote: "Are you able to post the entire message you are getting along with the number they are coming from and we'll get this checked for you."

We can't give you the number for the texts, they come in listed as from VirginMedia, the same as the refresh and voicemail texts.

The actual wording is :

Want to make sure you're on the best possible mobile plan? We do too. So we'll be calling soon, to chat about exclusive customer mobile offers just for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi TGregory,

We would like to apologise for this. I will follow up with a private message so I can have a further look into this for you. 

Many thanks,

Louis

0 Kudos
Highlighted
PW5
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Get yourself a call blocker and be done with unsolicited calls from virgin and everyone else.
0 Kudos
whyowhyowhy
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm getting the We Will Call you soon texts as well now, after weeks of phone calls, which I've ignored.  Marketing set to off.   I know it's good business to keep your customers Virgin, but it would work better if you actually had a decent signal.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) David_Pn
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there whyowhyowhy

Thank you for posting on our community forum pages.

We are sorry to hear that you are disappointed by the signal you receive.

So that we can help can you give us a little background please? Have we tried any troubleshooting around this previously? 

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos