cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S9+ (physical sim) & Galaxy Watch 4 (esim)

jetsada1
Tuning in

Hi there,

Hoping someone with better research (read: googling) skills than me can help here. 

I'm currently with Virgin Mobile for my phone, a Samsung Galaxy S9+ and perfectly happy with this rolling contract. I've recently replaced my watch with a Galaxy Watch 4 (4G version) so would like to extend phone capabilities to the watch. From what I've seen on the forums Virgin (currently?) don't offer an esim for watches. My situation is further complicated by the fact that the S9+ doesn't support an esim itself.....What I'm trying to understand is, is it possible to have a phone using a physical sim and a watch using an esim sharing the same number on any network? If so, which and does anyone know if Virgin are intending to offer this also? 

Thanks for any suggestions. 

FWIW I purchased my watch direct from Samsung. 

4 REPLIES 4

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Watches aren't supported for Virgin Mobile plans at all at present.

However O2 do support them, and there is nothing I can immediately see that you need an eSIM phone, just the phone and watch need to have a linked plan on the same network.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Thanks BenMcr.

I'd seen your replies on other similar threads a few months ago and hoped maybe things had moved on a bit. It's a shame Virgin mobile don't offer this currently as my current plan is perfect and would accommodate my watch nicely. 

4G on the watch is ultimately a nice to have for me so I'll see what is on offer and maybe ride it out until it's here if there's nothing at a similar price point. The VM O2 merger surely has to mean it's coming..... Eventually. 

Hi There,

I have just received a Galaxy Watch 4 4G and was wondering if connecting it to Virgin's mobile network is now possible since this this is quite an old thread?

Thanks,

Deano

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No it it isn't. Virgin are now in the process of moving all their customers onto the O2 network.

What happens to Virgin Mobile after that is anyone's guess.  Do O2 really need themselves, Giffgaff and Virgin?

Don't hold your breath on using the watch with Virgin 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks