cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full signal but poor speed

gRoberts84
Joining in

Hi there,

I've had virgin mobile for a few years now and the service has been amazing up until the last week or so where it's consistently got worse. 

My wife, who is also on virgin is experiencing issues too. 

We both have full signal, however it takes along time to load pages or we experience constant buffering when streaming on our mobile devices. 

Seems coincidental that we cancelled our virgin broadband which stopped this week too (virgin mobile was more reliable than virgin broadband)

Any suggestions?

31 REPLIES 31

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like you have been koved to Vodafone, I've not been impressed with data speeds

My 4g speeds have dropped from 40+Mbps to 5-12mbps. 

I'm assuming you can't do much about this? 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin do seem to have a problem with slow speeds on Vodafone.

Interesting that we have had some posts were people have said Vodafone users don't have that problem in the same area.

Sadly, each case will be treated individually and no one is looking for a possible wider problem.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @gRoberts84,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.
I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you're having over the last few weeks, this could be an issue with the recent migration, I can assure you that your mobile signal is in no way related to you cancelling your broadband connection with us.

Have you checked on the Vodafone signal checker here? This would let you know of the signal strength in your area but unfortunately wont show any live connection issues.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven,

Once I learned that I may be now using Vodafones network, it was the first thing I checked.

2G, 3G and 4G all show Good indoors & outdoors, with no 5G coverage.

Map shows dark red over my property. I'm about 100m (if not less) from two masts covering Vodafone according to Cellmapper.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Don't trust Cellmapper. I've several sites marked round me where there are no masts on any network.

This is fairly accurate for signal

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-gb/mobile-coverage

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

cje85
Trouble shooter

On Cellmapper, green masts are verified and should definitely be there, red ones are estimations and can be very wrong.

Both Vodafone and Ofgem come back with Good coverage in my village.

Both green on cell mapper.